Divemaster internship available, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Ijalija I had to save up before I came out here. its difficult to work at something else and dive a lot .
There was a Girl here who did her internship and did bar work at night she didn't get out much and only made pocket money as far as i could tell.

see you out here when you have saved john

This is the beginning of the high season they say and it was getting relay busy before he air port demonstation the weather is defiantly good flat sea sunny etc.
the internship is great diving with different courses going out to all the sites equipment srvice demos other dms cool instructors all pretty cool they even have a lounge bar above the shop
its wicked !!
the language is difficult to pronounce but not to remember so its a bit of a struggle

sounds like you posted this after a bucket or 2!! After getting my DM in 2001 in Fiji and paying for it (took 1.5 mos) DH and I headed to Thailand (not my first time there). We were quite surprised at the cattleboats of DM's in training. I was not impressed by the knowledge of these groups and actually met and kept in touch with several of them. I would honestly say that I would not trust any of the DM's with my life. Sorry to burst a few bubbles.....

I'm sure the OP is sorted already, but for those still looking, please note Aquanauts Dive Career Development Centre has introduced a new Divemaster internship that is aimed at those on a budget.

Called the Aquanauts Value internship, it stil includes equipment, accommodations, courses, materials and job placement, but is 45% less than our standard Aquanauts Complete package and even about 400 Euros cheaper than less-comprehensive DM programs in Koh Tao!

BUDGET DIVEMASTER INTERNSHIP: PADI DM Aquanauts Thailand Discount Course Cheap Class Value Diving Low Price Discount

Has anyone ever dived in Pattaya ??
Whats it like I have heard it is pretty bad diving but I have not dived there?

I dived with Aquanauts in 2005 while on leave from Iraq.

I was supposed to stay 10 days and stayed 27. Partly to the experience with Aquanauts and partly to the the night life in Pattaya :D

Can't remember his name but i think it was Gary who was running it. British guy with LOTS of dive experience.

LOVED IT.

There were people on the boat with wayyyyyy more experience then me yet I was made to feel right in. I didn't even realize at the time that some of those guys were doing internships. When I had a question it was answered. If the guy I was talking to didn't know the answer, he called out to Gary. When Gary came over he usually answered the question in such a way that lead me to ask more questions and learn more in depth about the subject.

The diving it self was a blast. While Not Florida diving (I live in Tampa so go to the keys a lot) it was definitely a lot of fun. Even when a sea urchin got me it was still a lot of fun.

Clear visibility and days that were not the best to dive in (Windy and Rainy) he usually found an island to anchor off of that still had some good diving.

The best time I had was with the little girl of the cook on his boat. Every day of diving including a meal prepared on the boat by the cook. OMG that food was good, of course having eaten a lot of military food in iraq so i may be biased.

From what I saw and was told while in Thailand, not a lot of Thai people dive for whatever reason. This little girl was the exception. I forget her age but she was like a fish with 2 legs. I have seen some dive boats that for one reason or another were basically party boats. Because this little girl was on the boat it was almost a family atmosphere which to me made it even better.

I am currently going through surgeries and physical therapy for an injury I got in Iraq. When it is all done you bet I will be going back for more diving.

This time I will split it between Phuket and Pattaya. I want to dive with a whale shark so sometime this year or next I am headed back. Hope Gary is still there. Guy had the best dive story of them all. Involved Elephants in Africa if I remember right.

I looked into Mermaids in Pattaya as well when I decided I wanted to go back to Thailand and even looked into the ones in Phuket. Phuket mostly had you arranging and paying for your own housing. Pretty much ruled out Phuket for the training for me as when I go i want to know the exact costs as much as possible.

Diving is what you make of it both in and above the water.

Glad to hear the DM internships are going well.....and no one got their heads cut off with machetes ( my original post ) :) !!!

how ever wannagetwet mentioned that the cattle boats of DM`s in training as well as the comment about their abilities kinda makes me wonder it seems that the ONES doing the lnternship are gung ho the clients seem to be not so gung ho.... I am Canadian, Trained here in Victoria B.C. @ Frank Whites Dive Store for my Dive Master and Ogden Point Dive Shop for my AI.
I value my dive career and want the best training I can get my Students Deserve it. On that note ...I am going to be going to Playa del Carmen to do my IE/MSDT with Dressel Divers Has anyone heard anything `bout them. I have read mostly good to great reviews and one or two BRUTAL reviews

never lose sight of the fact we travel to 3rd world countries after living here in the land of milk and honey. our whole lives are regulated, licensed ,you have to be this big to ride the ride ...of course the standards will be different but the DM exam is universal language being the variable and for anyone to pass it is a major accomplishment.. it is then on the DM his/her attitude that would be more in line with what i believe wannagetwet`s experience was........the dm course is a sunovabitch get it done then say again they didnt know what they were doing...... you have to KNOW what your doing then you NEED TO DO it sorry wannagetwet not dumping on ya

No offense taken wcd143. I'm sure that everyone will have their own opinions in every situation. After a grueling DM course in FIJI, traveled a bit and hit Thailand along the way. I was very disturbed to see how the training was done. Most days the DM's in training (most had just been OW certified) were given a group of tourists (all types of experience) to guide, on their own without an instructor or DM. The conditions were not always perfect to say the least. Most trainees were unfamiliar with the dive sites as it was their 1st or 2nd time doing it. In one case, our group was sent off the vessel (old fishing ships - hilarious to jump off!) to follow the trainee who followed his compass to the location that he was told to look for, and not once did he look back at his group. This was about 10 minutes (against a current) that he did not have any contact with his group.
I am all about each diver being responsible for themselves, however, I felt that the quality of instruction was severely lacking!! Taking a written test is very different than actual experience. Very true that 3rd world countries do not follow the same regulations as we do - and my feeling was they carried this over to the training. Hopefully, anyone that does not receive proper training realizes if they have a weakness in certain skills, and continues to improve upon it.
Good luck on your training in Playa del Carmen!!

Hi there guys!

I have just finished my dive master internship in Phi Phi Scuba Diving Center and it was GREAT!!
First of all the diving here is amazing! Just in the last week (where the vis was super good) I saw more than 65 black tip reef sharks in one dive! Plus the average of 5 leopard sharks per dive, few turtles, octopus, faroe cuttlefish, pipefish, and the usual suspects... Ok I'm still missing the great whaleshark but I'll find it one day..
In response to wannagetwet, it's true that in certain dive shops, some DMTs are being sent to guide certified divers without proper knowledge of the dive sites (or even diving!) but I have to say that here at Phi Phi Scuba you get more than a decent training with qualified people. You don't get to guide before you or they think you're ready, and you have to assist instructors on loads of courses before.
If you're interested in doing your internship, send them an e-mail to ppscuba@gmail.com or visit their website.
The staff is great and loads of fun!
Maybe I'll see you out here as I'm staying for an extra 3 months now!

I finished my internship with Scuba about a month ago, I loved it. The staff are friendly, the atmosphere at the shop is great and the diving is amazing. The dive sites around Phi Phi have a lot to ofer any level of experience.

I started with no experience of diving and in 5 months logged about 170 dives. During the internship I did work at the shop packing bags and also helping out on the boat with customers. The experience you gain and the advise you get from the instructors at the shop is invalueable. During the internship you will learn the dive sites and when the instructors feel your ready you will get to guide other divers.

If you are thinking of doing your DMT in Thailand look at this shop first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom