Divemaster\Instructor Liability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I originally qualified as a Divemaster purely for the diving benefits. At the time, I was a serving military officer...and I knew I would never actively 'use' the qualification. The course was a great learning experience for me.

As a 'non-working' Divemaster, I enjoyed having the skills and experience to be the 'senior' member of my circle of diving friends.... and they benefitted greatly from that.

Only after several more years was I in a position to consider working full-time in the diving industry..and having the DM certification, coupled with years of effectively 'leading' dives.... was an excellent springboard for me embark on the IDC.

I learned a long time ago to only show my advanced card and/or nitrox card when diving on vacation. If no one knows you have that cert, then the bony finger of doubt will likely not get pointed your direction. I went thru DM and never really put it to use, mostly because the crappy LDS here turned me off the whole subject. Someday, just not now....
If I do not take responsibility of anyone on the boat (besides my divebuddy GF), then I simply do not accept responsibility.... period.

You will be quite surprised how much you will learn about diving, yourself, and other people as you go through the DM program. I did much more than the minimum requirements and have no regrets. I would strongly suggest you do the full internship, not just practicals. You'll get much more experience helping with classes of all kinds (i.e OW, AOW, specialties, etc) which can be a real eye-opener!

My instructor was really good, and I would highly recommend him to you - pm me for info if you're interested.

Please ignore my incorrect information.

Last edited:
If the dive op wants to see your nitrox cert, you'll have to show the separate nitrox card whether you're an MSD or a DM.

Not true. The primary reason I got my MSD card was because I didn't want to pay $35 to get one the cards I already had with EANx on it. I had EANx and all the other requirements met so I paid the $35 to get my MSD/EANx card. That way if I go diving on a recreational boat I only have to show one card andor remember one number for all my diving needs. If I go on a tech dive I show my NAUI Trimix II (no numbers to remember) and that covers me there.

You are correct. What I should have said is that you may need to show proof of your nitrox cert, which is not shown by either an MSD or DM card.

No, deep certification is not a requirement for MSD.

Deep certification is a requirement for Advanced Open Water.

Advanced Open Water is a requirement for MSD.

Thus, having an MSD cert shows that you also have deep cert.

If PADI no - only a single deep dive not a deep specialty certification..

Danny, if you're considering going on to instructor then go ahead and start considering divemaster. If you're wanting the knowledge, find a NAUI shop that teaches Master Diver. In my opinion, it is a heck of a good course. It isn't like PADI and SSI in which you get a few specialties and log the dives, it is a real course andf a LOT more indepth than what you'll get with anyone else short of going pro.

No, deep certification is not a requirement for MSD.

Deep certification is a requirement for Advanced Open Water.

Advanced Open Water is a requirement for MSD.

Thus, having an MSD cert shows that you also have deep cert.

Phil, you are confusing Deep certification with a Deep Adventure Dive.

For the AOW course, you have to complete 5 Adventure Dives, one of which is the mandatory Deep Adventure Dive (max 30m).

The Deep 'certification' is a speciality course, comprised of 4 dives (max 40m). You have to be certified as an Adventure Diver or AOW to enrol on a deep speciality course.

The MSD certification recognises that the diver has completed core training up to the level of Rescue Diver (inc OW, AOW, EFR & Rescue), along with 5 speciality courses and a minimum of 50 logged dives. The 5 required speciality courses can include any of the 20+ courses available.

When was Padi ever stated by the op? Specifically PADI Master Diver. PADI Master Diver, and NAUI Master Diver are much different, PADI you pay for a card, NAUI theres acctually training involved.

I am also on the fence to becoming a DM, and this thread has been helpful.

Unfortunately we have not heard from any active/former DM's who have been sued.

What is less helpful is Us vs Them trolling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom