Divemaster fitness requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBM-I think the whole point is to put a potential DM under as much physical and physical stress as possible.Nothing like a 400m swim then having to save someone 100m from the boat to put a bit of pressure on

Whewee what a difference.-My best mate has been competative swimming for a few years so I got a free coaching session today. Main pool closed for a water polo comp so 22m lenths.
Turns out I was doing a fair bit wrong. First off my breathing was all screwed up.Stupid really--trying to breath out and gulp air in whilst head was out of the water.--fixed that.
Then the swimming stroke too short I literally wasn't using a full arm reach.
Then it turns out Im kicking like Im in fins so legs too far apart.
Then Im also swimming too fast to do the 400m in the time because ill be shattered after just 200--or less
Lenth after frikkin lenth of the pool. But in the end it is starting to make sense.
When my legs felt like jelly and the arms(mostly shoulders) were burning ie I was totally knackered He told me to swim 10 lenths.
10 in in 6 minutes meant 220m(roughly 200yards) in 6 minutes. so at that pace 440 in 12 --so lookslike Ill make 11 minutes for 400meters if I carry on at this rate.
Interesting observation-the "natural" reaction to leave a bit of air in the lungs to blow water out of the snorkel doesn't work for swimming. and a natural scuba stroke is way too slow with the legs.

--PS--kinda using this as a log of progress so please ignore if its boring.

Frosty, Not boring at all. Reminiscent......

Whewee what a difference.-My best mate has been competative swimming for a few years so I got a free coaching session today. Main pool closed for a water polo comp so 22m lenths.
Turns out I was doing a fair bit wrong. First off my breathing was all screwed up.Stupid really--trying to breath out and gulp air in whilst head was out of the water.--fixed that.
Then the swimming stroke too short I literally wasn't using a full arm reach.
Then it turns out Im kicking like Im in fins so legs too far apart.
Then Im also swimming too fast to do the 400m in the time because ill be shattered after just 200--or less
Lenth after frikkin lenth of the pool. But in the end it is starting to make sense.
When my legs felt like jelly and the arms(mostly shoulders) were burning ie I was totally knackered He told me to swim 10 lenths.
10 in in 6 minutes meant 220m(roughly 200yards) in 6 minutes. so at that pace 440 in 12 --so lookslike Ill make 11 minutes for 400meters if I carry on at this rate.
Interesting observation-the "natural" reaction to leave a bit of air in the lungs to blow water out of the snorkel doesn't work for swimming. and a natural scuba stroke is way too slow with the legs.

--PS--kinda using this as a log of progress so please ignore if its boring.

Sounds like you've made quite a bit of progress!

As I've always said... technique trumps strength.

Sounds like you've made quite a bit of progress!

As I've always said... technique trumps strength.
Agree. The 400 and the float are about technique (the float being about body buoyancy, not strong legs/arms to stay up). The other two tests are about leg strength. I don't think the correct title should be "stamina" tests. Maybe two should be called that, with the other two being called "figure it out" tests.

I don't think the correct title should be "stamina" tests.

That is in fact a "not correct" title.

They're called "Waterskills Exercises" in the IM.

That is in fact a "not correct" title.

They're called "Waterskills Exercises" in the IM.
You are correct as usual re the IM. Must be I've mostly heard them referred to as stamina tests. My old 2009 DM manual refers to them as Water Skills and Stamina. That's a good title--looks like they changed it.

Agree. The 400 and the float are about technique (the float being about body buoyancy, not strong legs/arms to stay up). .
The "float" Im gonna have to be kicking around the place.-I set off airport metal detectors with the steel inside me. :)

The "float" Im gonna have to be kicking around the place.-I set off airport metal detectors with the steel inside me. :)

No, no, no.

Breath control and stillness. I don't care WHAT you weigh... you're far more buoyant than you realize.

No, no, no.

Breath control and stillness. I don't care WHAT you weigh... you're far more buoyant than you realize.
Absolutely. You can "drown proof" as well--that is, take a good breath and let your lungs float you (doesn't matter if your head goes a little under, just come up for another breath when needed). I found that I spun naturally spun around when doing this, but I could do that for a long long time if needed (that is, if I'm ever alone in the middle of fresh water Lake Erie). Egg beater kick and kicking like hell got me through the first 13 minutes, but I could've been 20 years old and not able to do the 2 minutes hands out. Drown proofing got me my "5".

Back
Top Bottom