Divemaster fitness requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holey moley where did that frikken steamroller come from. The local swim centre has a swim squad.I was conned into joining as "you are here every day anyway"
I thought I was pushing myself hard. That's before squad training. Every muscle aches

Holey moley where did that frikken steamroller come from. The local swim centre has a swim squad.I was conned into joining as "you are here every day anyway"
I thought I was pushing myself hard. That's before squad training. Every muscle aches

I was asked to join in a master's group workout once. Afterwards I recall telling one of them (who was kicking my @ass hard for 2,000M) that I didn't care that she was 48yrs old, and five months pregnant, next time I was not going to show her any mercy!

I was asked to join in a master's group workout once. Afterwards I recall telling one of them (who was kicking my @ass hard for 2,000M) that I didn't care that she was 48yrs old, and five months pregnant, next time I was not going to show her any mercy!
rotflmao-That's about how I feel only no preggy woman lapping me-least that's best as I can tell

Today I thought--easy day-swim the 100-400 -100 pyramid then I'll be done.The swim squad coach would have none of that.-200m freestyle warmup.100m fins,100 pool bouy,100 freestyle,100 kicking. Then 300m easy and sprints --so swim as fast as I can ever third 25m lenth. Then 400m then 100m sprints--15 second break between lenths Then 100m sprints with pool bouy then 100m sprints with fins.then 100m "sprints" just kicking with a kids floatie. THEN 100m backstroke -ohh we were alowed to do the backstroke slowly.-i Turned over the last 4.0m or so of the backstroke and beached myself onto the pool edge or Im darn sure i wouldn't have gotten out.-Its the first time the pool water hasn't been cool enough to stop me getting over heated. This time a herd of elephants followed the steamroller.
ohh and apparently Ive been sighned up in a team to do a harbour swim in September-2.85km (roughly 2900yards)

Reactions: RJP
Ok well Today was the day. With only 10 days till I do the actual swim test I had to do the 400 and see how I was getting on. 11.00minutes was the goal and so far my best was 11.07.Well I did something right or absorbed something over the past couple of months. 400m completed in--9 minutes 54 seconds. yep well over a full minute faster. Totally stoked.Coach says theres another 30 seconds there with the extra boyancy,not doing turns and the pressure of the day.
I know from those of you who did a lot of swimming this is "mehhh" For me this achievement has be bouncing off the walls wanting to High 5 everyone. -Apologies for the self indulgence.

Minimum score is 15 points averaged over the 5 disciplines as follows (metric):
400m: under 6:30 = 5; 6:30 - 8:40 = 4; 8:40 - 11 = 3, 11-13 = 2, over 13 = 1
800m: under 14min = 5; 14 - 16:30 = 4, 16:30 - 18:30 = 3, 18:30 - 21 = 2, over 21 = 1
100m: under 2:10 = 5; 2:10 - 3:15 = 4, 5:15 - 4:20 = 3, 4:20 - 5:30 -2; over 5:30 = 1
15 min float: performed as per required = 5; hands not out for 2 compete minutes = 3; touched bottom or side = 1

For the equipment exchange it's basically a 5 if you do it with no dramas and it looks comfortable, 4 with a bit of fuss, 3 is you did it but faffed around a lot, 2 is it was complete mess but you managed to swap, 1 is incomplete. You must do it in whatever you normally dive in, must swap all scuba equipment except your weights and your suit.

happy to report the hard work paid off
400m: under 6:30 = 5; 6:30 - 8:40 = 4; 8:40 - 11 = 3, 11-13 = 2, over 13 = 1 --completed in 6.45 don't ask how
800m: under 14min = 5; 14 - 16:30 = 4, 16:30 - 18:30 = 3, 18:30 - 21 = 2, over 21 = 1 completed in 15 minutes something
100m: under 2:10 = 5; 2:10 - 3:15 = 4, 5:15 - 4:20 = 3, 4:20 - 5:30 -2; over 5:30 = 1 completed in three minutes flat
15 min float: performed as per required = 5; hands not out for 2 compete minutes = 3; touched bottom or side = 1
Now THAT was a bit of a laugh.--Instructor that WAS timing me got distracted so I floated for a LOT more than 13 minures,
THEN the two minutes hands out of water-he got tied up with customers -I counted to one thousand four hundred before I called out to ask if I was done yet.
So SO FAR 17 out of a possible 20 points.

happy to report the hard work paid off
400m: under 6:30 = 5; 6:30 - 8:40 = 4; 8:40 - 11 = 3, 11-13 = 2, over 13 = 1 --completed in 6.45 don't ask how
800m: under 14min = 5; 14 - 16:30 = 4, 16:30 - 18:30 = 3, 18:30 - 21 = 2, over 21 = 1 completed in 15 minutes something
100m: under 2:10 = 5; 2:10 - 3:15 = 4, 5:15 - 4:20 = 3, 4:20 - 5:30 -2; over 5:30 = 1 completed in three minutes flat
Now THAT was a bit of a laugh.--Instructor that WAS timing me got distracted so I floated for a LOT more than 13 minures,
THEN the two minutes hands out of water-he got tied up with customers -I counted to one thousand four hundred before I called out to ask if I was done yet.

either you were timing yourself wrong, or the instructor did, because its basically impossible for you to shave 3 minutes off your 400m time... either way, congrats...
I'm finding I'm just stuck around the high 8 minute mark, so should get a 4 but unless i train for a year or more i can't see improving to a 5. the gains are so small, it doesn't matter if i swim hard or slow and relaxed, the time is always the same..

crunchyspg-3 factors in the better time.
1) Im really REALLY bad at the pool end turns so in a 25m pool Im doing about 15 turns in 400m
2)the ocean was a millpond and I had that extra buoyancy that salt water gives.
3) For me theres a huge difference between practice and the real thing.I always go that bit better in a race.
My suggestion to you is to have a coach check you out and to find the pace you can do 400m in and when you "slap out" you feel like your legs are jello.

crunchyspg-3 factors in the better time.
1) Im really REALLY bad at the pool end turns so in a 25m pool Im doing about 15 turns in 400m
2)the ocean was a millpond and I had that extra buoyancy that salt water gives.
3) For me theres a huge difference between practice and the real thing.I always go that bit better in a race.
My suggestion to you is to have a coach check you out and to find the pace you can do 400m in and when you "slap out" you feel like your legs are jello.

my swim test, whenever i do it, will be in a pool anyway, and I'm ok at turning. i don't know how the turns could take you 3 minutes, thats spending half of each length just in the turn. that seems crazy, i could climb out and dive back in in that time. but glad it worked out for you.

i had a swim coach look at me and i have a good strong stroke, but it just seems my natural rhythm is around that 8 minute + mark no matter what i do. i can go all out and come out exhausted, or just go for a leisurely swim and the times are identical.

the snorkel i can do in under 14.

crunchie--I was as blown away as you were. keep in mind my training pool is 25m so its 15 turns. say it was all in the turns that's 180 seconds which yea is 12 seconds a turn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom