Divemaster course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like I said before 10 day Dive Masters are a joke, and these poor people who spend there money on lets see how fast we can do this course will never be employed in the industry. Once finished our Dive masters can run the boat on there own, can read a tide chart, Know the dive site inside out were they are going to lead dives, and are capable of even passing the dive master exams without being given the answers.
Being a DM is not just about getting the card its about being a needed useful professional team member.

Well said seaduction. In my mind any proffesional diving qualification done under such circumstances is worthless.
But the unfortunate side to that is once the card is issued it puts those that have learned very little on the same level as those that have much more experience.
No doubt as you suggest if someone who has done a 10 day (or less) DM course and actually manage to secure employment at a good shop, they will soon be found out. But maybe some of the less reputable shops who may employ such people are those that seem to be getting all the complaints.
Maybe it is the system that is wrong for allowing such courses to take place? Maybe the DM course, being a proffesional qualification which certifies divers to take care of paying customers, could benefit from some sort of external moderation.

Courses already done back at home thanks, although I shall be coming to Pattaya again soon and this time am proposing a weeks diving at phuket or koh chang.
Who is Owen?

Hi Tom,

Glad to hear you got your PADI DM training completed!
Well done and welcome to PADI :)
Where did you eventually end up doing it?
And how many days of actual training did it take you to complete your DMC?

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

Glad to hear you got your PADI DM training completed!
Well done and welcome to PADI :)
Where did you eventually end up doing it?
And how many days of actual training did it take you to complete your DMC?

Did both the rescue and DM Courses back in the UK with the same outfit I did my OW and ADV courses.
Rescue course was done over 2 weekends, 4 days plus the paperwork and exams, so about 5 days all together.
The DM course was great. I took a week off work and had 9 solid days instruction. Then in addition to this I was on their boat for a further 8 weekends, this time was a mixture of my own training and also I got to work with the instructor while they were doing other courses, and also got to lead some dives. So again with the exams and paperwork, I would say about 4 weeks all together.
Thorughly enjoyable experience, and the offer of a weekend job at the end of it. Really pleased the way things worked out in the end.
Next year, time permitting, I may even consider going on to instructor level.

Did both the rescue and DM Courses back in the UK with the same outfit I did my OW and ADV courses.
Rescue course was done over 2 weekends, 4 days plus the paperwork and exams, so about 5 days all together.
The DM course was great. I took a week off work and had 9 solid days instruction. Then in addition to this I was on their boat for a further 8 weekends, this time was a mixture of my own training and also I got to work with the instructor while they were doing other courses, and also got to lead some dives. So again with the exams and paperwork, I would say about 4 weeks all together.
Thorughly enjoyable experience, and the offer of a weekend job at the end of it. Really pleased the way things worked out in the end.
Next year, time permitting, I may even consider going on to instructor level.

So you went for option 1 in the end or did you just need to clock up the 60 dives?
I am pleased to hear it all worked out well for you in the end
hope to see you back in Pattaya on your next visit :)

I had already done more than the 60 dives before starting the course, Its just what the DC says they do to give people the option of additional experience of actually working in the industry.
Working with the instructors on those additional weekends, certainly gave me a different insight into the diving. Suppose during the DM course I did about a further 40 or so dives plus some pool work.
You certainly will see me in Pattaya again in the not too distant future I hope, but as for the diving there I think not.
I am tending to think of a liveaboard trip from phuket for a few days during my next holiday if you have any recomendations?
Also what would be the best mode of transport to get from Pattaya to phuket?

Hi Tom,

You can actually fly Bangkok Airways from Pattaya U-Tapao International Airport to Phuket or fly the cheaper Air Asia our of BKK.

Of course, there's also the train or bus, too.

I had already done more than the 60 dives before starting the course, Its just what the DC says they do to give people the option of additional experience of actually working in the industry.
Working with the instructors on those additional weekends, certainly gave me a different insight into the diving. Suppose during the DM course I did about a further 40 or so dives plus some pool work.
You certainly will see me in Pattaya again in the not too distant future I hope, but as for the diving there I think not.
I am tending to think of a liveaboard trip from phuket for a few days during my next holiday if you have any recomendations?
Also what would be the best mode of transport to get from Pattaya to phuket?

Sounds like you got a good DM course there Tom :)

As far as transport from Pattaya to Phuket goes; the last time I went to Phuket I drove my car, it took me about 10 hours, that will mostly likely not be a practical option for you, so flying from bangkok or U-tapao would be your best choice and it is not too dear.

I would not even consider the bus or train :-(

Hi Tom,

You can actually fly Bangkok Airways from Pattaya U-Tapao International Airport to Phuket or fly the cheaper Air Asia our of BKK.

Of course, there's also the train or bus, too.

Thanks for the info.
I wasn't aware there was a airport so close to pattaya. looks a great idea to fly there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom