Divemaster Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg...

Very interesting point. So even if you happen to have a full DM cert from a particular region, would you suggest going back to being "supervised" for a particular period to get to know the new conditions before hanging out the Shingle and going it on your own?

TexasMike is correct about the PADI Master Scuba Diver stuff, rescue + 5 specialties. The NAUI MSD course is a couple fewer dives (8 required), no actual specialties done, but the academic content is equivalent to that of divemaster. The NAUI DM course requires Master SD or equivalent, rescue, 25 dives, and NAUI AI water skills ability. PADI DM requires 20 dives (60 to exit course), rescue, advanced or equiv.

Netdoc-- caught my mistake about the IDC, AI OR DM can go. What I meant to say is that you can't become a PADI AI without another leadership rating (any agency). PADI AI is a very useful rating, worth checking out if you don't want to be an instructor. DM's are not required to carry insurance but it's a good idea.

My OPINION is that a crossover from NAUI to PADI is easier than the reverse. Very few candidates from my IE would have passed a NAUI ITC, IMHO. But that's all I'm going to say about that!

Basically NAUI and PADI offer similar (or similarly named) courses all the way through instructor, the difference being that AI and DM's places are reversed in the progression.

Rick-- All the NAUI swim tests are timed still. PADI has a points system instead, faster you go, more points you get with a minimum needed to pass. Also, no bailouts, ditch and dons, scuba or skin, in PADI. I say bring back the torture! :)

Neil

The Training Progression for PADI and NAUI are:

PADI: OW / AOW / CPR & First Aid / Rescue / DM / AI / I
DM being the first professional Certification (Leadership Level Certification)

NAUI: OW / CPR & First Aid / Rescue / AOW / MSD / AI / DM / I
AI being the first Leadership Level Certification. However as a note, NAUI allows after AOW to take a course called Training Assistant which allow them to assist with classes in a limited capacity (This is not a Leadership Level Cert.)

Originally posted by neil
DM's are not required to carry insurance but it's a good idea.

PADI DMs are required to carry insurance if there state/Country requires it. However there is no reason to not get insurance. Its not that expensive for a DM and covers your butt if something goes wrong. Its worth its weight in gold.

I haven't gone through the other answers, but I'll give you my opinion-

First of all, FYI, I am an SSI instructor, so keep in mind that I do not belong to any of these agencys, now to my opinion-

I belive the most important thing is the instructor. If your instructor is a good one, it dosen't matter if he delivers a SSI course, a PADI course or anithing else. The contents of the couses are quite alike, and RSTC keeps all agencys to minimal standards. As for the agency itself- There should be no problem for you if you choose either PADI or NAUI. Both organizations are organisatins of INSTRUCTORS, which means you can work for whoever you want, that wants to employ you. Unlike agencys like SSI, that is an organization of DIVE BUISNESSES, which means you can only work for a buisnes that is affiliated with your organisation (I.E-a PADI DM may work for a SSI dive-shop, but not the other way). In addition, PADI and NAUI may both work independantly without affiliation to any buisness (which is, for you a great advantage, but in my opinion, a great disadvantage for the industry).

To sum it- t dosen't really matter. If your intention is to do it for fun, Than it really dosen't matter, but if you like to work it may. It might be easier to find a job as a PADI DM as this is the largest organization, but from expereince, A shop that needs workers will take care of making you a cross-over if they need you.

Wow, thanks for all the information.

I guess my questions were a little vague. My concern was that of whether I am qualified to take NAUI DM and what kind of crossover concerns I may have in the future. Neíl´s post pretty much answered that.

As for diving in the cold northwest waters, I certified Open Water in the Puget Sound at Alki Beach. Don´t laugh, but out here in Cozumel´s 84 degree waters, I use a 3mm full with a 3mm shortie (if I am cold after the first dive, I have a hood). Even then, I come out shivering.

Needless to say that my Open Water Certification in the 48 degree Puget Sound I was using a 7.5mm wetsuit and was feeling frostbite after every dive. The class was pure torture for me and I was numb for all the open water dives. I realize that it would be a great learning experience to certify Divemaster in the Sound, but a learning experience that feels like THAT vs doing Divemaster out here in Cozumel (since I happen to be living here now)... well, you pick...

Thanks again for all the useful info! All advice is much appreciated!

Achu

Originally posted by rstone

PADI DMs are required to carry insurance if there state/Country requires it. However there is no reason to not get insurance. Its not that expensive for a DM and covers your butt if something goes wrong. Its worth its weight in gold.

rstone,
Absolutely! BTW, which states require insurance?
I'm sitting here on a rainy day looking for other differenced in the DM programs. Here's another: PADI only requires one person CPR. NAUI requires 1 & 2 person, child and infant CPR or the equivalent of BLS-C.

Neil

Hey neil I did a little checking with the American Red Cross and they state that infant and child CPR course applies to infants and children up to 8 years. Now from a AI/DM/I point of view unless your teaching infants and children up to 8 years old there would seem little logic to requiring that. However I am aware that PADI does its bubble maker starting at 8 yrs olds, and NAUI has its junior skin diver starting at 8yrs old, not all instructors choose to do these programs. Although i do like the idea of 1 and 2 person CPR, but then again neil you are not required to do the PADI MFA program. So if you wanted to do both you could goto the red cross.

Hello Achu; I think it is a great idea to go ahead and achieve the DM Cert. There are many thoughts on the subect and this may seem to ramble a bit. First of all the Dm course was designed for divers that would be "officially" assisting Instructors with teaching scuba. Each agency has their own requirements and restrictions as to what a Dm can do. If that is your plan then you would definetely need to be an insured Dm.
If you are taking the course just to further your own experience and don't plan on asssiting in any official capacities then insurance is not required. However be aware that the DM certification is a paid renewal each year for all the agencies that I am aware of. The Dm cert is treated no differently than an Instructor Cert. So you may want to take it and then just not renew. If you decided to go ahead later then most instructors and/or Dive Shops would put you on the "fast track" to return you to active DM status.
As for recognizing each other's certs, most agencies do. You may not have to go thru a complete course but instead take a cross-over course.
I would choose the course based on what I intended to do with the certification. Did you know that most dive shops will give great gear prices on purchases for DM's that are working thru their shop ? This is usually the only pay you receive for DM work This alone may decide which agency you choose. It did me, Padi Dm then NASDS Inst then SSI Inst then (and I hope finally) YMCA and SDI Inst.
I hope this clarifies things a little more, or maybe it just muddied
the water even worse. By the way I have found it interesting in my 6 years as an Instructor that most non-divers always want to know if I am a Divemaster. I guess the name makes it sound more official than Instructor. You should also know that most "Divemasters" working in resort locations ar actually Instructors.

Foothillsdiver

ACHU,
I always forget something.
To work with an Instructor or a Dive Shop you would need to be certified in the same agency. All the agencies require the Dms to be "in-house" certified. You can be a Dm or Instructor for several agencies just remember that you will have to renew with each one each year and this does get $$$$$.
Also moving to a colder climate you would most certainly need a "break-in" period to be able to effectively teach or DM.

You sound like a candidate for a DRYSUIT to me.

Cheers

Foothillsdiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom