Divemaster Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

achu

Reaction score
I have been thinking about doing my divemaster certification ever since I certified PADI Rescue. I don´t have any real reason to certify except that I happen to be here where the water is WARM and I think I will regret not certifying when I move back to Seattle.

So, I´ve been looking around for a good instructor. I know plenty of them, but I´ve narrowed it down to 3 or 4 of my favorites.

My question is: Does it matter whether I certify PADI? One of the instructors on my list is a NAUI instructor. What kind of problems will I have getting a NAUI Divemaster certification since all the rest of my certifications are PADI?

NAUI Divemaster vs PADI divemaster... any difference? Pros and Cons? I´ve always figured that it is the instructor that makes the course, not the certification organization. All of the instructors on my list are excellent...

Though I don´t have a good reason to be certifying, I do want to do it right. It is not my intention to be a divemaster leading dives here, but I want to learn the skills of the certification well enough that I COULD if I wanted to. I want to do it right.

Any advice?

Achu

This is a very loaded question. You will get as many people voting for one agency as the other.

What you really need to do is look at the requirements of each cert agency and see which meets your personal criterion of what you want to achieve as a divemaster. At that point you can make a more informed decision about which agency you want to do your DM through.

If you decide to go with NAUI check & make sure they will accept your cert level through PADI; some agencies do not.

Good luck!

~SubMariner~

Regardless of which agency you choose the training that you will receive is priceless. There are many things covered in each of the different agencies that will become invaluable to you. Even if you don't go on to work with stucents or become an instructor. I wouldn't trade my DM cert for anything.

ID

Achu,
DM is a higher rating in NAUI than in PADI. I certify both, and there are a few differences. For instance in NAUI you can go to an instructor course as a DM or AI, you don't have to progress through both as with PADI. PADI DM's can conduct refreshers and lead Discover Scuba dives (after the first one), both of which may be very useful to a prospective employer. The academic and skill requirements to enter the course are a little more stringent with NAUI.
To enter a NAUI DM course you need NAUI Master Scuba Diver or equivalent. With the equivalent, you'd need to pass the Master Scuba Diver written exam. Your PADI rescue is considered eqivalent training to NAUI rescue.
My personal choice is NAUI, but if you have instructors you really like with either agency, then go for it and have fun! My advice is not to get involved with any DM course that doesn't use real students throughout the course, and to assist with as many classes as you have time for.

Neil

I don't know if it is still true, but in the "old days" there was a whole lot more swimming in the NAUI course, as in swimming long distances in various gear configurations with a time limit.
Rick

but, since I did PADI through AOW and then NAUI to DM - I would expect your PADI cert's would do just fine.

Neil has it straight by what I've learned - I look at the two agencies as pretty interchangeable, with the individual instructors and how/what they teach more the determining factor in the quality of your instruction. Note - there's a very good comparison on Diverlink of the details of what skills are taught as a comparison of agencies

Other than that - as Neil said, the NAUI cert is a little higher in what you are qualified to do [for NAUI shops] - while I've heard that the PADI cert is a little more universal overseas and thus could have you be a little more easily employable. [I'd be real interested in other folks opinions about that statement!]

Cheers

Great Question and answers folks!!!

Now a few of my own.........

Does the DM course require a minimum number of dives?

And can we contrast SDI's DM course with the other two mentioned?

I was in my favorite LDS (a NAUI shop) this past Tuesday. We talked and talked about the differences between PADI and NAUI. I was led to believe that NAUI only offered a "Master Diver" program which is fairly identical to PADI's Master Diver, and that this was not a "professional certification" as is the PADI divemaster. As for moving straight from DM to instructor, that is what I am doing... on my PADI track. Either a PADI AI OR DM can take the PADI IDC. Another thing I noticed is that once certified as a PADI instructor, cross certification to being a NAUI instructor is fairly cheap and easy (as it should be). However, if you are a NAUI instructor, the PADI IDC is exactly the same as it is for a PADI DM or AI, as is the price.

Now, let me add the caveat, that I was talking to a bunch of students, but one was a NAUI Master Diver, but he carried no insurance (non-professional cert). All PADI divemasters have to carry insurance (as do PADI AIs and Is). The NAUI instructor was having a different conversation and I didn't bother him with what I thought were the facts from these NAUI people. Anyone have the FACTs from NAUI about what they actually offer? I have all I need from PADI to answer from their side.

Pete,

Some of your confusion (per your post) seems to be the terminology.

From what I know (and how little that is :) ) The Master Diver is as you say a non-professional cert, and is usally obtained by a diver who has completed the Rescue course and at least 4 or 5 specialty certs (like deep, dry, scooter, etc). This is typical amonst most agencies. Typically there are no responsibilities to the shop or instructor to assist with instruction.

Dive Master is the professional level where you assist with instruction or on a dive boat. No specialty certs are required (but they are nice to have).

At least this is what I read from your post.

--TM

Choice of agency aside, I would be more concerned about the conditions. Have you done any cold water diving, especially in Puget Sound? Diving in Seattle is a whole 'nother ball game. The water is cold (45-55 year round), the visibility limited (15-20ft average) and involves much more exposure gear, therefore more weights to deal with, etc., etc. Actually, you may regret NOT getting certified in Seattle. I'll go as far as to recommend you wait until your sure you like the conditions up here first, THEN think about becoming a DM.

Originally posted by achu
I have been thinking about doing my divemaster certification ever since I certified PADI Rescue. I don´t have any real reason to certify except that I happen to be here where the water is WARM and I think I will regret not certifying when I move back to Seattle.

Any advice?

Achu

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom