Diveline - vaporware that no one is excited about

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This. Also, you are aiming much too high for the MVP (minimum viable product). You need sales of the MK 1 (return-to-boat only) to fund development of the MK 2 (+direction to buddy) which will then offer a software upgrade to the MK 2 mod 1 (+alert to buddy) which will fund development of the MK 3 (+PDM to buddy/team) which will...MK 4 (+tank pressure broadcast) etc.

Also, I may have the order wrong: if return-to-boat requires a piece of boat hardware, that might push later in the priority stack -- that means only a dive op will purchase. If you start with direction to buddy and/or alert to buddy, that by itself is a viable product for individual buddy pairs to purchase.

(In fact, you could start by introducing the starter product: Diveline Yo! -- a zero-UI wristband that proves your technology and company by offering just a button that will send a vibrate alert to your buddy/team. I'd buy that in a heartbeat to get away from the rattle/tankbanger/etc.)
Thanks Lairdb for the valuable input. Sorry for the delay in responding....got busy.

The idea of MVP is great. The first product iteration we did had everything on board and we cut back. Features were like buddy monitor, buddy ping, geo fencing etc etc.
Whilst all these worked we thought it would be too much to introduce. Most probably we will only introduce navigation to a point first and maybe messaging. This could be the boat or a beacon marking a wreck underwater etc..

From our research divers need underwater navigation in some form regardless of the type of diving or experience. For example a dive master commented to us after trying out Diveline for the first time, that his experience underwater totally changed as he was aware of where the boat is at all times as well as being confident to explore the area knowing that he can lead his divers back to the boat at anytime. Previously he would have to keep track of the compass and swim directions which is an added stress and limiting the dive.

Currently we are researching which class of divers would need navigation system as a necessity. That is currently divers have got used to a pattern of exploring a small area and getting back to the boat. Disrupting this habit is not easy at first. It would be much easier to introduce the device to a group of divers who will really benefit by navigation. This could be divers using DVPs/treasure hunters/solo diver etc

I would really appreciate your valuable thoughts on this.

as a Min viable option, I would consider having locators that I could strap to students/clients and keep track of them with no interface (i.e. pinger). The instructor/DM would carry the locator interface to assist navigation and keep tabs on group. I dive in Columbia River almost year round, 12 foot visibility is not a given, having a tool like this could really change how we execute these dives. That would hopefully provide a cost-effective solution

as a Min viable option, I would consider having locators that I could strap to students/clients and keep track of them with no interface (i.e. pinger). The instructor/DM would carry the locator interface to assist navigation and keep tabs on group. I dive in Columbia River almost year round, 12 foot visibility is not a given, having a tool like this could really change how we execute these dives. That would hopefully provide a cost-effective solution

Meesier, Yes this can be done now with the present setup by strapping the Diveline Navcom acoustic unit onto the tank of the student. They can be free to concentrate on their training whilst the instructor can keep tabs on them. The students don't need to wear the display unit. An added advantage is that the instructor will be aware of the boat location there by increasing the safety of the divers in his care. Diveline increases the divers situational awareness greatly.

Back
Top Bottom