DiveLightMan and "Scout" lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mannydib

Reaction score
South Florida: what we lack in culture we make up
# of dives
200 - 499
Whats the deal with eBay's DiveLightMan and his "Scout" lights?

although 99% of his buyers posted highly favorable comments about him and his product, there were a couple that stated that they were not real Halcyon Scout lights.

i have no problem buying a clone, in fact i prefer to when it is more reasonably priced, as long as it is reliable.

i do have a problem with someone misleading buyers though.

Is this the "Photon Torpedo"? If so, I have one and it's a great light for less than the price of a Scout.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Is this the "Photon Torpedo"? If so, I have one and it's a great light for less than the price of a Scout.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They look exactly like my older, original style scouts...which, BTW, have never leaked. I emailed Todd and asked him just exactly which model he is selling and I'll let you know what he says.

Stephen

Hi gang,

I just bought a "Scout" from divelightman, Todd Gordon. The story is that he used to work for Halcyon. I think he manufactures the lights himself, and reportedly his design for the 18W HID light head is superior to Halcyon, which has had some common flooding issues.

Due to 3 recent hurricanes, lack of power for a couple weeks, and a new baby in the midst of all that, it took about a month to get the light. Haven't dove with it yet, but it looks just fine, and I trust it will be sufficient.

I agree that his ad is misleading, and further agree that the "H" on the light isn't important. It would be nice of him to clarify the headline.

I'm also still waiting for my pee valve, which I ordered from him several weeks ago. I expect he's just behind due to the forces of nature.

Hope this helps,

Josh

Todd went through hell with the hurricanes,no electricity for 15 days and a very pregnant wife.
I bought a very nice new 18w light off of him at great price.
I did have to wait a little while because of the weather,but he added in a scout style light for free,never mentioned a word about it...it was just there.
I considered it a bonus round and very proffesional.
I own both the halcyon scout and the scout style light.
They are quite simular but I do like the knurling on the scout style light.
That being said...I loaned my daughter my scout style light after I used it a couple times and it did flood.
When I emailed Todd about it he said he would make it right and I have no doubt that he will.
IMO a scout style light is not misleading...but that just my oppinion.
IMO Todd is a good guy.
Andy

Yeah, Andy, I saw your feedback for Todd, which gave some comfort. I was kinda hoping for an extra goodie in my package after reading that, but no. Maybe he'll throw in a redundant pee valve :wink:

I agree. He's a good guy.

Josh

I bought 2 of the "Scout" lights last spring from Todd for my Tech1 class. Somewhere in Puget Sound, just before heading across a couple countries for the class, I forgot my can light so I used one of the backups. It flooded. I took it apart and rinsed it and dried it and re-lubed the O-ring.

I wore both lights for the week of Tech1 and some other dives, but didn't turn them on. They didn't flood.

Then back to the west coast. Did a Tech1 dive with Uncle Pug up in BC. His borrowed HID would not turn on - I loaned him a "Scout" so he could read his guages. It flooded. So I loaned him the other one. It flooded. Grrr. One of them proceeded to blow up in the parking lot due to off-gassing batteries.

I found all the pieces and after returning to AK, emailed Todd and told him the problem. I returned the 2 lights to him and eventually got 2 new ones. I haven't tried them yet, but will do so this weekend. Point is - great service when there was a problem. I am coveting that 21W HID, though :11:

Someone asked about o-rings - the ones I have only have a single o-ring. The strange part was, these lights didn't flood until they were actually turned on?!?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom