Diveable Cenotes ON Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanL

Registered
Reaction score
All refs to cenote diving I've seen are on the mainland. There are extensive cenotes right on Coz. Is diving them allowed? Any dive ops offer Coz cenote dives?

I only know of cave diving on Coz. I went last November. I am cave cert and the guy I went with is a local tech instructor and he checked my certs prior to the dive. I don't know if he does guided dives for none cavern/cave cert divers but you can e-mail and ask.

http://www.divecozumel.net/

oh and whatever you do, do NOT leave anything in your vehicle at the dive site if you ever want to see it again. Our vehicle was broken into during our second dive. So someone in coz is a woman using my driver's license and using my cave card.

DanL:
All refs to cenote diving I've seen are on the mainland. There are extensive cenotes right on Coz. Is diving them allowed? Any dive ops offer Coz cenote dives?

are restricted for full cave certified divers. There are no ambient light zones, so these are not for recreational divers.

Actually, "cenote" means "sink hole." It is the "opening" of the cave or cavern so to speak. There are four different kinds of cenotes: completely underground, semi-underground, land level (like a lake or pond), and open wells. Different cenotes can be accessed for snorkeling, swimming, or diving.

The mainland does in fact have an incredible cave system, with over 3000 cenotes. Cozumel also has a few cenotes; however, you must be full cave certified to dive the Cozumel system and dive with a local cave guide.

Here is a great link with more information and history of the cenotes:
http://www.cancunsouth.com/act_cenotes.html

Herman Yanez with Yucatech, and Diego Romo Corzo receive my highest recommendations. Herman and Diego are both very involved in the exploration of the sytems here and on the mainland.

Herman is a Safety Officer for NSS (National Speleogical Society: Cave Diving Section and is one of the most respected cave instructors in the Yucatan (and industry). This is his specialty and it is all he does.

Diego is a PADI, TDI, and NSS-Cave Diving Section Instructor. Diego is who I use almost exclusively for cavern tours and cave tours. diegogolem@yahoo.com

The difference is that the system in Cozumel is full cave, so you MUST be cave certified to dive them and you must go with a local guide.

The most popular cenotes on the mainland for recreational divers (and some for snorkelers) are Dos Ojos, Car wash, Taj Majal, Grand Cenote, and Chac-Mool. All of them are different and all are really incredible.

Hope this answers some questions!

Christi:
are restricted for full cave certified divers. There are no ambient light zones, so these are not for recreational divers.

Christi -
Thanks - quick response! After seeing an Underwater Explorers special on the Coz system, I was amazed at all the caves right on Coz.
Did Dos Ojos, etc - absolutely excellent, but a long trip for short dives. Jeez, now I guess I'll have to get cave certified!
I'll be in Coz Oct 23 to 30. I'll look you up. Thanks again for the info.
Dan from Minnesota

Wendy -
Looked at the site - full cave looks like a challenge. Looks like another scuba goal ahead....
How far in did you go? Any specific objective other than "sightseeing"?
Bummer about the theft - sorry.

DanL:
Christi:
Wendy -
Looked at the site - full cave looks like a challenge. Looks like another scuba goal ahead....
How far in did you go? Any specific objective other than "sightseeing"?
Bummer about the theft - sorry.

The cave I did was called aeriolito (sp?). The first dive was short compared to the second dive. I think the guy was checking me out on the first dive, saw that I didn't suck, and so the second dive was a further penetration. Not sure how far, but it was great! Anyway, to start we did our s-drill and valve drills. This guy was very by the book. which I liked. does he offer a cavern course? or you could always do a ave course here in florida and then head to mexico.

Wendy:
The cave I did was called aeriolito (sp?). The first dive was short compared to the second dive. I think the guy was checking me out on the first dive, saw that I didn't suck, and so the second dive was a further penetration. Not sure how far, but it was great! Anyway, to start we did our s-drill and valve drills. This guy was very by the book. which I liked. does he offer a cavern course? or you could always do a ave course here in florida and then head to mexico.

On his website, he shows a full range of tech courses, including cavern thru full cave.
Probably will do cave through a shop here in Minnesota - owner is a tekkie/caver. Does his cave training in Fla. Right now I'm getting used to doubles in prep for adv nitrox/decompression. Then on to wreck penetration, and now thinking about full cave after seeing the cenote program on the tube.

DanL:
On his website, he shows a full range of tech courses, including cavern thru full cave.
Probably will do cave through a shop here in Minnesota - owner is a tekkie/caver. Does his cave training in Fla. Right now I'm getting used to doubles in prep for adv nitrox/decompression. Then on to wreck penetration, and now thinking about full cave after seeing the cenote program on the tube.

Personally I don't beleive in the rush to full cave. I beleive it is best to do cavern, then intro, etc and take time between each level to become proficient at it before moving on. But that's just me.

Wendy:
Personally I don't beleive in the rush to full cave. I beleive it is best to do cavern, then intro, etc and take time between each level to become proficient at it before moving on. But that's just me.

I agree. I'm actually pretty conservative. Have well over 250 dives, DM, etc, etc and now slowly proceeding with adv nitrox and deco (only after I feel I've mastered doubles). Probably awhile before getting thru wreck, cavern then cave - but who's in a hurry.
Thanks much for the info and advice.

Back
Top Bottom