dive with martin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am considering dive with martin for my cozumel trip march 29. Does any one have any experiences with them? So many choices so little time.
Thanks

Hopefully someone will post with a more recent experience, but I'll give you my old and rusty $.02.

My wife and I dove with them four years ago for our very first ocean dives post-certification. We were sucking down the air so the dives were short - so I'm not sure if they are a "set time" or "dive your computer" type op.

The DM we had was very friendly and great at finding cool critters to look at. Surface intervals were done floating on the ocean, but I have heard others say here on SB that DwM took them to a beach club for their SI.

The boat was the only thing I wasn't crazy about - it didn't have any shade so we had a nice tan/burn going on by the end of our 2 days of diving. Other than that I saw nothing that would prevent me from recommending them. That said we wanted a "cushier" experience so we have gone with a more expensive dive op for our last 3 trips. They are a no frills op and priced as such. If no frills diving is your thing I think they are a good fit.

Like I said this was a few years ago so take the above as very stale info and hopefully you'll get some more recent experiences posted here.

I have used them on two different trips. The divemasters are wonderful! They are a very professional group of people. They will pick you up at almost any hotel and their rental gear is free. If you do a 4 or 5 day package, you get a free video of one of your dives. I really like the fact they leave at 7:30, therefore they are the first dive boat on the reefs. Will use them again and again. They also use small fast boats which means around 6 divers. They have one larger boat and the largest group was 12 divers with 2 divemasters. They have a very personal feel to them. Wonderful experience!

I used them this past May. They provided frest fruit and water on every trip. The smaller boats don't have shade, but the larger one does. We did our SI at a beach or on the water,depending how long the ride to the next dive site was.

We've been using them for years and our favorite divemaster is Orlando. They will let you dive your computer/air. The smaller boats have a little shade, fun to do the back roll entry. Sometimes the SI is on the beach, sometimes on the boat. I personally like SI on the boat the best, especially if the waters calm, drifting along. Water and fruit available. They will keep your gear for you if you want them, too. Whoever you decide to go with I'm sure you will have a great time. It's hard not to in Cozumel :D

I'm a big fan! Have dove with DWM several times over the years and would highly recommend them. I like the small boats and professional service. Many times they have taken me out even though it was only my husband and myself.

I've drove with them twice last year each for 7 days. Highly recommend. Staff is very professional, fast small boats (most divers on any trip were 8), dive your computer, no charge for gear. Stayed at the Wyndham both times, like being so close to the reefs and pick up was by 8 am most mornings. Usually one of the first boats at the reefs. Each day the DM would ask were everyone wanted to dive. Majority ruled which was nice because sometimes most were into photography so did 2 shallow dives with lots of picture ops.

Really like the idea of booking on line and sending a check to US address to pay for most of the dives. Didn't need to carry that extra cash. Can print out all forms so they are already filled out before arriving in Cozumel.

Already booked for 8 days in May.

We used them May 2010 during a long weekend trip with a LDS. We had two of their boats during our time there because we were a group of 20. I did a total of 10 dives with them over two days, two morning boat dives, two afternoon boat dives and a night dive. The boat was on time picking up the group at the dock each time.

DMs were very professional and knew the local sites. Briefings at each site were detailed so we knew what to expect. There was a shaded area on the boat we used all weekend to hid from the sun during the ride to/from sites or during SI.

Double check their rental gear if you need to rent gear. My dive buddy and I misplaced our gear locker key on the first morning of diving so they made a detour to their shop to get rental gear. My buddy had reg (believe it was breathing wet or leaky) and BC issues (either inflator or OPV valve had issue) so make sure to look over the rental gear closely. No charge to rent gear if you dive with them.

Luckily we only used the rental gear for the first two dives in Coz afterward we found our gear locker key and dove our own gear for the remainder of the trip. :D

I would dive with them again if I were to visit Coz again. Have a great time in Coz and safe dives!

I will second all opinions. I have done about 30 dives with them in 4 trips to Coz. Once they get to know you and if you have your own SMB they will let you have your own bottom time even if the rest of the group runs out of air. (And they will be there to pick you up!) Just pop the SMB when the rest of the group goes up and tow it so they can keep an eye on you as they pick up the "early birds". Regarding pick ups - they will pick you up from wherever you are staying. I usually stay at the Fiesta Americana (south of town),which means I am the closer to the reefs so I get picked up last and dropped off first. The only exception are the night dives where you have to meet them at their spot on the pier, which also south of town near the cruise ship terminal. No big deal. Boats? I have only been on the smaller ones - yes not shade - but I did not mind. That sucker is FAST - much faster than all the fancy bigger ones you see on the reef. That cuts down on the trip time in a very big way and I like that. Dive with Martin is NOT the only outfit I dove with in Coz - but the only one I choose now. I guess there must be reasons. Happy diving.

I always dive with DWM. It's a great operation with excellent people. I like that they leave the dock earlier than most of the other boats. You get to the dive sites before the crowds, and because they use smaller boats, there aren't so many divers in the water all at once. As experienced divers, our bottom times were always in excess of an hour, but they didn't hurry us back on to the boat. Our last trip with them was in October of 2010 when hurricane Paula hit the island. We missed several days of diving because the harbor was closed. But DWM did their best to help us catch up on missed dives by taking us on four during our last day. Then they refunded us the funds for the dives we couldn't do. I have tried others, but never again. It will always be DWM for me.

We dove with DWM for many years before moving to Blue Angel. The move was strictly for monitary and convienence puproses, (hotel/dive package), nothing to do with service.

The guys at DWM do an excellent job, both topside and in the water. Orlando and David are the 2 DM's we dove with most and always had good experiences with them.

David doing his semi-famous "air ring trick:...
David_AirRing.jpg

They have always had one of the lowest prices on the island, not sure if they are still a "cash only" operation or not, but they usually run "specials" to help out with the cost. i.e. a free one tank night dive with so many 2 tank day trips booked.

I always put them as one of my top recommendations when folks ask.

Back
Top Bottom