Info Dive Western Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

senorteem

Registered
Reaction score
Dive boat in Rincon PR. Four divers max. Personalized service . 25 years experience here.

Let me know if you want to go diving.

What is the name and contact information of the operation you are referring to?

Island Style, LLC 787-624-9379. Vessel is the Grace Regina. License, insured, endorsed.

Good to see your post. Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, large with good topside offerings, close to the U.S., often a bit familiar from cruise ship stops, and in theory ought to be a big name dive destination commanding a lot of mindshare on this forum. And yet...it doesn't. In threads discussing Puerto Rico I sometimes ask questions trying to dig into why that is, and what could be done about it.

Since you have an offering there, I'd like to run some ideas by you.

1.) Highly suggest providing a business name and linking us to a good, professionally done and informative website. In this day and age of scams where people like to read online reviews and research trip options (e.g.: package options, costs, whether you have larger-than-80 cf tanks), I doubt you'll get much business without this.

2.) It's my understanding Puerto Rico isn't particularly diver-focused, and doesn't have big package deal dive resorts like Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire, plus it's so large it's harder to decide what region to stay and what accommodation provider to stay with. In other words, it's a complex bother to research as a dive destination so people know what dive op. to use, what hotel to stay at, whether they need to rent a car, what nearby and in-house dining options there are, whether shore diving is offered, that topside entertainments are available for non-diving family, etc...

So, I'd suggest your website answer those questions. Provide budget, mid.-range and luxury hotel suggestions and hyperlink to their websites. List nearby good restaurants and how far they are from your dive shop. Do you provide hotel pickup and transport to and from your dive boat?

There are many divers who prefer smaller groups, and in the U.S. often refer to boats catering to such as '6-packs,' as they take up to 6 divers. You take a maximum of 4; why so few? How small a boat do you use? Does someone have to book your boat (i.e.: charter it) for the day, or do they just book their own space? How few divers are you willing to go out with?

Do you do 'valet' style diving, where you or staff set up the gear for the divers (e.g.: put the BCD on the tank, swap tanks between dives), or do the divers do that themselves?

Richard.

Good to see your post. Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, large with good topside offerings, close to the U.S., often a bit familiar from cruise ship stops, and in theory ought to be a big name dive destination commanding a lot of mindshare on this forum. And yet...it doesn't. In threads discussing Puerto Rico I sometimes ask questions trying to dig into why that is, and what could be done about it.

Since you have an offering there, I'd like to run some ideas by you.

1.) Highly suggest providing a business name and linking us to a good, professionally done and informative website. In this day and age of scams where people like to read online reviews and research trip options (e.g.: package options, costs, whether you have larger-than-80 cf tanks), I doubt you'll get much business without this.

2.) It's my understanding Puerto Rico isn't particularly diver-focused, and doesn't have big package deal dive resorts like Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire, plus it's so large it's harder to decide what region to stay and what accommodation provider to stay with. In other words, it's a complex bother to research as a dive destination so people know what dive op. to use, what hotel to stay at, whether they need to rent a car, what nearby and in-house dining options there are, whether shore diving is offered, that topside entertainments are available for non-diving family, etc...

So, I'd suggest your website answer those questions. Provide budget, mid.-range and luxury hotel suggestions and hyperlink to their websites. List nearby good restaurants and how far they are from your dive shop. Do you provide hotel pickup and transport to and from your dive boat?

There are many divers who prefer smaller groups, and in the U.S. often refer to boats catering to such as '6-packs,' as they take up to 6 divers. You take a maximum of 4; why so few? How small a boat do you use? Does someone have to book your boat (i.e.: charter it) for the day, or do they just book their own space? How few divers are you willing to go out with?

Do you do 'valet' style diving, where you or staff set up the gear for the divers (e.g.: put the BCD on the tank, swap tanks between dives), or do the divers do that themselves?

Richard.
I have given Puerto Rico several hours of research more than a couple of times, only to hit a brick wall. I have encountered many of the same concerns as Rich has. Kind of a shame because every time I look at airfare to P.R., it’s been very reasonable and non stop. Many dive shops (the ones that answered the phone) that I spoke to, were not very helpful as to where to stay, time of year to come, where to dive, ect. Even the possibility or probability of diving was questionable, from my research. Compared to somewhere like Cozumel, where weather permitting….it’s a sure thing.

And there's the silence...

I have given Puerto Rico several hours of research more than a couple of times, only to hit a brick wall. I have encountered many of the same concerns as Rich has. Kind of a shame because every time I look at airfare to P.R., it’s been very reasonable and non stop. Many dive shops (the ones that answered the phone) that I spoke to, were not very helpful as to where to stay, time of year to come, where to dive, ect. Even the possibility or probability of diving was questionable, from my research. Compared to somewhere like Cozumel, where weather permitting….it’s a sure thing.
Based on my very recent research the only pace offering somewhat reasonable "stay and dive" package is Copamarina down in Guanica. Not sure how it works in real life though.
Hopefully more dive shops will start offering or at least suggesting where to stay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom