Dive w/o DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuderdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Are there any operators in Belize that do NOT require diving in a group with a DM (aka a herd)?

thanks,
nd

Why dive with an operator if you aren't gonna use their staff? Just rent the gear you need and go shore diving, or hit the nearest marina and rent a boat.

Last edited:
Herds are a rare sight in Belize, certainly on any non-Cruise ship offering.

You can dive near to what you may perceive as a herd, and still not be part of the flock.

If your profile is correct, inferring that the Pac NW is where you might have logged many dives, your dive count makes me wonder.... wouldn't it be better to stick with a good DM and enjoy his abilities to find stuff? Maybe you're an exception to this generality, but it took me a whole lot of diving in warm-water-pretty-fish environments to get the hang of spotting things for myself. Years of following DM's, and yes- sometimes the "herd".

A great number of divers arrive in the reef system that lies between Roatan and Belize with the same comments and desires- not to be part of a school of divers. Quite a few of those folks go home a whole lot less educated than the divers who stay close to a good naturalist DM.

Belize offers many things to many levels of divers. Once you get beyond stumbling over the many animals that are bigger than toasters, the Belize reefs hold an incredible array of macro and micro critters. You should see animals here (the world's second longest reef structure) that are available nowhere else in the Caribbean. It's all there for you, but most divers cannot see what they are looking at. It takes training.

Without the close-by assistance of a good DM, you will never see them... or more importantly~ learn the art of finding them for yourself.

In Belize operators are required to have a DM in the water with "tourist", it is a safety issue. Most of the operations I know of are cattle boats, but if you are looking for a small boat check out Chuck and Robbies in San Pedro.

I forgot to wait for a DM in Belize once. He was livid. Shrugged my shoulders... he should have been in the water with his (2) customers, rather than jerking around on the boat not paying attention to us.

Not sure if I/we broke any regulations doing that, but it was the best dive of the day :D

In Belize operators are required to have a DM in the water with "tourist", it is a safety issue.
Well, that sucks - but it confirms my initial findings. Seems like it is more of a "employment issue" - otherwise dive operators everywhere would require it.

Most of the operations I know of are cattle boats, but if you are looking for a small boat check out Chuck and Robbies in San Pedro.
I'll give them a look, thanks. Although, based my initial research, it looks like I might be better off skipping diving for the 9 days I'll be there and just drive around in a Jeep looking at ruins.

Thanks for the info :)

... but it was the best dive of the day :D
I bet it was. Always nice to NOT have to deal with a babysitter. I mean - really - if someone wants to dive with a DM, they may as well stick with the discover scuba arrangement.

The Belize Aggressor and Sun Dancer put a DM in the water BUT you only have to follow them if you want. Do your own thing, they treat you like a certified adult diver until you prove otherwise. The only time the wife and I saw other divers was when we entered and at the safety stop.

The Belize Aggressor and Sun Dancer put a DM in the water BUT you only have to follow them if you want. Do your own thing, they treat you like a certified adult diver until you prove otherwise. The only time the wife and I saw other divers was when we entered and at the safety stop.
But those are both liveaboard only, right?

I'd love to do liveaboard (seems like it is the best, almost ONLY way to go, based on my experience) - but I checked into their pricing, it's out of my range at the moment.

Sometimes I like to just hover until and observe until my SPG says its time to go - can't really do that when you have to dive in a group.

In Belize you must have a dive master who is a licenced guide if you are diving in the marine parks or marine reserves. Outside of those you can dive on your own if you can find a tour operator willing to take you.
Regards
Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom