Dive Trip Tipping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that DM's are not required on dive tours in the Keys.
Having been to Cozumel three time I guess I assumed all dive tours included one.
We are headed to the Keys over Labor Day weekend and have booked four full days (5 tanks) of diving and two half days. I'm wondering if it is customary to tip the boat Captain?

Doreen 5269:
I was surprised to learn that DM's are not required on dive tours in the Keys.
Having been to Cozumel three time I guess I assumed all dive tours included one.
We are headed to the Keys over Labor Day weekend and have booked four full days (5 tanks) of diving and two half days. I'm wondering if it is customary to tip the boat Captain?

There'll probably be a DM on the boat - but usually they don't lead dives or guide (they often stay on board) - they would give briefings, make sure the tanks are on/off the boat, help out with questions/problems etc. and make sure everyone gets on/off safely. [in this case I would tip the DM rather than the captain].

If you really want to dive with a guide, contact the operator before hand - sometimes they will dive with you for free, other times you can pay for a guide....

If you are on a larger boat (larger than 6 pack) there should be a Capt & DM. Capt drives boat and gets you to dive site. DM gives briefing, helps load boat, helps with equip problems, helps you off & on boat, and should come to your aid in water, if you signal. Usually they will have a TIP JAR on board. I tip AFTER I am done with ALL my dives with that op. Usually just put in in the JAR and let them split it however they split it. HOWEVER, if I have an unusually UNHELPFUL DM, I will INDIVIDUALLY tip the ones that were helpful and NOT TIP the unhelpful one.

DMs are just like any other job classification...you have some that are FRIENDLY, HELPFUL, PLEASANT & ALL AROUND FUN TO BE AROUND. Then you have some that are more interested in having a SMOKE with the CAPTAIN instead of taking care of the customers! Usually the latter don't keep the job too long. The Captains want someone that is going to hustle their butts off to keep the diving and loading/unloading flowing as smoothly as possible.

Have a GREAT TRIP!

Mike

I would love to know what people tip different people. For example, how do you determine what you should tip.

When you go to cozumel or NC, the dive master does all the same thing as the dive master in the Keys but they also go in the water with you and show you around, especially where different things might be hiding, that only a local could know.

Do you tip them the same? Because the non-florida dive master appear to do a lot more work.

Heith

hhennel:
Because the non-florida dive master appear to do a lot more work.

Heith

:11: excuse me......! What the heck are you talking about? shaaaaa..... I can assure you that "US" FL DM's work our fannies off. My boat uses basically all DM's and Instructors as crew member. We take turns staying dry and it's no piece of pie. My suggestion would be to shodow a DM for a day, do what they do, then make replies like that.

As for tipping, I'll let you in on a little secret. Almost everyone does it the same around here, the tips get spilt. Most Captains don't get a cut because they are usually paid employees. Like anyhting else, it will very from shop to shop, I always just ask someone before hand so I know what's up. As for tipping at the end of the week, just remember, if the crew changes from day to day, you'll be cutting someone out of a tip by the end of the week.

When we went to Key Largo a while back, we had a particular Captain that just rocked. He was attentive and fun and took us where we wanted to go. He was our Captain all but one day out of the week long excursion. the last day there, we tipped him privately after everyone left (including the crew) and told him how much we enjoyed his service. We also let him know that we had already taking care of the crew and that this was for him.

Back in the days when I worked as a captain for other people on volume operations in the middle of the Pacific, I rarely got tipped. By the time we got back to the dock, the customers were usually in a real hurry to get off the boat quickly and away from the cretins working the decks. I was well-paid so I never even thought about it. My whole diving career, I never expected to be tipped since I was always adequately paid. Tips always surprised me. They were nice, but not necessary for me to live well in Honolulu.
When I worked for a small outfit, the guy there before me had tip hustling down to a science. He would stand on the stern just before we left the dock and announce that anyone who needed anything at all to please let him because, as he so mercenarially put it, "If you're not happy, then I don't get tipped!"
We had an eloquent nickname for him that I'm sure would show up as five asterisks - it starts with "w", ends in "e", and is not the word "where". He's even on the SB from time to time.
Until I moved to Florida, I had never heard of DM's working for free. On my clearer days, I vaguely remember something called the War Between the States to abolish slavery, but I'm not sure that it made it this far south.
I ran a six-pack for years and I paid my DMs $45 to $75 per trip, am or pm, and this was in the early 90's. What was amazing to me was how much I got tipped after I started working for myself and not driving or diving on cattle boats. My weekly average was over $150 and I was charging more than anyone else. And this was after my clients tipped the DM's!
So when I started diving down here on charter boats before I got my own overpowered hole-in-the-ocean, I was amazed when the DM's were explaining how things worked for them here. Tips? They work for free - and a lot of them do indeed work - damn hard! Some don't, or do such a pisspoor job that they not tipworthy.
I have had some really interesting talks with charter operators and shop owners down - stuff they sure don't want their crews hearing. Also, most captains should NOT get a cut of the tips since they own the business. Out in Hawaii, I would tell people they didn't have to tip me - I owned the company, but they had had such a great time that they just had to. I sure could never figure that part out, but hey, everyone was happy.
It might be nice to be running charters again down here so I could have people work for me for free. Maybe I could call it, "Uncle Tom's Diveboat"? Now I'm gonna get nasty spiritual IM's from Harriet Beecher Stowe...

Tom Winters:
Out in Hawaii, I would tell people they didn't have to tip me - I owned the company, but they had had such a great time that they just had to. I sure could never figure that part out, but hey, everyone was happy.

The answer is simple. People feel a lot better about tipping when it is voluntary rather than obligatory. They know the recipient will appreciate it and be happy rather than expect it and take it for granted.

I'll bet a lot of boats could increase their tips by putting up a sign "Tipping not required."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom