Dive Trip Report - Lobster Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

industrious95

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got out last Friday (8/1) on the Gypsy Blood Dive boat for what was advertised as a "lobster hunt." Captain Jim took us to one of the less often visited wrecks about 9 miles off the New Jersey coast. Depth 85 ft. Bottom temp 52. Viz 10-15 feet. The ocean was a bit bumpy on the trip out, but calmed down as the day went by.

For an August dive, the ocean has not warmed up as much as I've seen in previous years, but the site was teeming with life. I spotted a winter flounder, about 15 inches, and figured, "why spear it if it's not big enough for a meal?" Instead, I decided to just annoy it, and I tried petting it, which of course made it swim away. I followed it, repeated my attempt to grab it, and it took off again. However, as I followed it, it swam over a 25" fluke that was hiding in the wreck. That one weighed in at 6-1/2 pounds, not exactly a doormat but dinner for four.

The divers were a group of spear fishermen and lobster hunters, and we all did well. A few more fluke were speared, some nice winter flounder, lots of Huge sea bass and many lobsters. We had two divers making their first NJ Coast dives, as well as logging their 100th dives, and they had a fantastic time - it's great to see someone getting so excited about diving our fabulous coastline.

After the first dive, of the new divers commented on how many Ling she saw swimming on the wreck. Captain Jim let her borrow a pole spear, and she and her buddy enjoyed their first spear fishing trip on their second dive.

A bad day diving beats a good day at work, but a good day diving trumps everything.

Don't you know - you pet the bass, not the flounder. Good finds, we haven't had any bugs this year...yet. One of my favorite ways to cook up the smaller mixed bag of speared goodness (bass, flounder, ling cod) is sauted up in equal parts butter, line juice and mild white wine (pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc, though an un-oaked chardonnay will do). Top with a tablespoon of capers and a fresh-from-the-garden-diced Jersey tomato.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom