Dive Trailer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny how the big fire trucks are not a problem backing but put a trailer behind anything and you can have a monkey circus!

OK, here is a quick and simple backing up class.

1. Use your mirrors. Looking back across the seat(s) doesn’t work because you can’t see the sides and back of the trailer.

2. Put one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel palm down. If you want the trailer to go to the right move your hand to the right. Same for the other way which is left.

3. The smaller the trailer the faster it reacts and the faster it can get out of control. A 53’ semi trailer is much easier to back up than a boat trailer for a 16’ boat. The problem comes from within the drivers skull.

4. Think about what is going to happen with your actions rather than what has happened. Make slow gradual movements not sharp quick movements.

5. During the summer months pay attention to the trailer and not the Double D’s in the dental floss Bikini watching you watch her.:mooner:

Practice this and you will look like a pro in no time.:wink:

Gary D.

Thanks Gary, What you provided for everyone is good advice, The othere piece I add is "When driving forward the trailer follows the car, When backing up make the back of the car follow the trailer." That often helps to avoid those 90 degree "what now's":confused:

I posted some older pictures of our dive trailer in my gallery. The trailer layout is the same but much of the dive gear has been updated. All of our BCD's are now Halcyon. The trailer is a 27' enclosed Haulmark Trailer that was customized by our local trailer company an our department.

Some of the custom features are as follows:

1. Black Rhino Liner sprayed over the plywood decking for water, skid and other protection. It has worked very well and is easy to clean up.
2. Custom cabinetry and bench for gear storage.
3. Electrical system including generator connection, scene lighting on sides and rear, electrical outlets and my favorite, two (2) 1500 watt heaters. We usually just set them on 750 watts each and the trailer almost gets too warm. We carry a small portable 5kw generator but usually connect it to a fire truck with a PTO generator. We carry several adapters so we can plug into anywhere. We also have 110 v flourescent lights and a 12 light system if we do not have 110 power. The trailer has a 12 volt battery with a shore power charger. The battery can also be charged off the tow vehicle.
Our department built the small ventilated room to house the generator and gas which is isolated from the main gear compartment so the fumes will not attack the rubber. We also bult the shelves for our other water rescue gear. All our ice rescue gear, life jackets, ropes, etc are stored here.

Our primary tow vehicle is our 2003 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban however several members with large trucks are also approve to tow this trailer if need be.

We have a load leveling hitch to assist with towing.

We also had custom graphics put on the trailer.

Everything except for the gear stored in the trailer was purchased through a fund raiser.

The trailer is a great resourse which our department shares with the entire county. We use it on all calls and drills for all divers to dress and undress out of the elements.

The only down side has been given the size of the trailer finding people who are capable of towing this trailer can be an issue. So far we have not had a problem getting our trailer to respond. Having our gear stored this way has greatly improved our response time and the time it has taken get dressed once on scene.

Hope this helps.

Mark D.

We just did our high angle trailer...(I know i am already off the dive subject) the dive trailer has been completed for quite a while. But one thing that works well is get some masking tape, and lay it on the floor where the cabinets, heaters, etc are planned to set. this will help you see the "blueprint" before everything is in place, and you can make sure you have the room, as well if they will be big enuogh to fit what you need inside of them. We ran into problems when a table made it too tight to fit the rescue boggan for transport. fixtures are a pain to move if they cut you short on room, and when your dealing with 20-27ft long by 6-8ft wide, the room disapears fast, and there is alot of gear and supplies to fit in there while leaving your team the room to function properly.
hope it works for you,
DP

Some of the custom features are as follows:

2. Custom cabinetry and bench for gear storage.

First off, nice trailer....

I saw the custom bench with locker doors under it for gear storage. But how do you keep it dry from people sitting back down on it with wet gear? (just curious?)

This is a great idea in my opinion. I dive with Desert Diver and we have had great success with our trailer. Though you still have to go and get it we always have a truck available (be it on duty or a personal volunteer vehicle) to hook onto the trailer and go. I would not go back to a motorized vehicle to hold our gear.

I will try to get with Desert and send you some pictures.

4bdiver

All: this is EXCELLENT stuff. I've been hoping to see something on trailer setups as our team has a "blank slate" with which to work. Thanks all for the posts and photos; I've sent the link to our team here in central Iowa (CIUSR) for looks, thoughts, and, hopefully, some action.
Any advice on asking around for donations/work on the trailer?

If your organization is a 501c3 non profit I strongly recommend you ask any vendor who you would have bid on the project to see if they would be willing donating time, materials etc to your project. Our trailer was funded by a town wide mail solicitation for donations as part of an annual fund raising effort.

Then we asked the vendors if they would give dontate or give us their cost on the project. It can save you a lot of money and many of the contractors especially if they are local are more than willing to help. Many business just like private individuals donate to charities so they can deduct it on their taxes.

We actually put on our trailer that the money was donated by the towns people to show our appreciation. It may be something you can offer to any contractor that is willing to help you out. It may surprise you just how many business are willing to help out.

Good luck!

Mark D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom