Dive tool kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dnaber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
With Christmas coming up I'm building my list for the kids and one item I'm thinking about adding is a dive tool kit. What would you recommend?

DIY.
Amazon.com : Plano 1364 4-By Rack System 3650 Size Tackle Box : Fishing Tackle Boxes : Sports & Outdoors
I use something similar to this

All common o-ring sizes. https://www.divegearexpress.com/viton-o-ring-brown-qty-of-five-3261
That's the list, I buy mine from Amazon, but you can get them from McMaster as well

Need an O-ring pick, brass is best
Two adjustable wrenches, one big one small, or a bunch of actual size wrenches. Your call there.
If you have DIN tanks, one din-yoke adapter going both ways. One for the regs, one for fill whips.

Screwdrivers
Allen Keys
IP Gauge
Tank Pressure Gauge
O-ring Lube-O2 compatible if you dive with high O2 mixes or have to get PP fills
Extra port plugs
HP spools

You'll start collecting various other things as well, but those are the big ones...

O-ring Lube-O2 compatible if you dive with high O2 mixes or have to get PP fills
tbone, can you clarify what you mean by "PP fills"? I'm pretty sure I want to avoid that!

This may not fall under "dive tool kit" but rather "things you should have in case something comes up," but I would recommend getting a bunch of double-ended bolt snaps in a variety of sizes. A few months ago I bought one of every size from DGX and now they are all gone. Time to re-stock!

Also duct tape and a sharpie marker.

Brass picks, a set of combination wrenches - metric and imperial, a couple good quality adjustable (crescent) wrenches. Slim jaw if you can find them. 5 yds of 1/8 inch, 3/16, and maybe 1/4 inch bungee cord. 2 feet of surgical tubing. Second the IP gauge and tank pressure gauge.

DIY.
Amazon.com : Plano 1364 4-By Rack System 3650 Size Tackle Box : Fishing Tackle Boxes : Sports & Outdoors
I use something similar to this

All common o-ring sizes. https://www.divegearexpress.com/viton-o-ring-brown-qty-of-five-3261
That's the list, I buy mine from Amazon, but you can get them from McMaster as well

Need an O-ring pick, brass is best
Two adjustable wrenches, one big one small, or a bunch of actual size wrenches. Your call there.
If you have DIN tanks, one din-yoke adapter going both ways. One for the regs, one for fill whips.

Screwdrivers
Allen Keys
IP Gauge
Tank Pressure Gauge
Extra port plugs
HP spools

You'll start collecting various other things as well, but those are the big ones...

Sorry Tbone, going to override that tackle box suggestion. The one you want is the Plano 1444 Magnum.
Amazon.com : PLANO 1444 Magnum Guide Series Tackle Box : Fishing Tackle Boxes : Sports & Outdoors

It has plenty of small drawer space for the knick knacks and amble room for larger items. Lets see if I can list the things in my box off the top of my head (some have already been mentioned)

1. O-ring set--the DGX variety pack, plus extra 014 and 112s for tanks--also have at least 2 picks
2. Roll of Masking Tape
3. Roll of Scotch Tape--mostly for labeling tanks
4. Two 5/8x9/16 wrenchs
5. Two 11/16x3/4 inch wrenchs
6. Pair of Dykes
7. Box Cutter
8. Adjustable wrench
9. Pliers--1 needle nose, 1 larger used mostly to apply tension on my doubles
10. Philips head and flat head screwdrivers
11. Lighter
12. Zip lock bag of cotton balls, q-tips, and folded paper towels
13. Bag with a sock w/ talc
14. Extra zip lock bags
15. Din to Yoke Adapter
16. Allen Keys---metric and imperial, also have a scuba tool from DGX that has several different ones
17. Bolt Snaps and Double Enders--several varieties and sizes
18. Cave Line
19. 1/8 and 3/8ths bungee--10 feet of each
20. Dive Rite Clip retainers---I generally use these in a pinch or for new divers that don't have and SPG with a bolt snap, a little bit faster than tieing the cave line and not permanent so I can get the bolt snap/SPG I just lent them back.
21. Extra Spindle's for SPG
22. Zip Ties
23. Extra De-fog
24. Extra Lub for drysuit
25. Port plugs
26. Air fill tickets--also keep them in my wallet and car just in case
27. Extra wing nuts for doubles
28. O-ring lube--both silicone and O2 compatible
29. Extra d-rings, sliders, belt buckle
30. Extra batteries for all computers, or lights
31. First Aid--band aids, neosporen,
32. Personal--bottle of seasickeness meds, bottle of nose spray, small bottle filled with vitamins, aleve, zyrtec, antacids
33. Aquaseal
34. Wetsuit cement
35. brushes, knife, paper clip, quarter, wrap to apply aquaseal and wet suit sement
36. Extra rubber hose retainers
37. Extra webbing holders
38. extra razor blades for triolbites
39. Extra reg necklace

**** I know I am forgetting a few things. All of the above fits in the Plano 1444 with plenty of room to spare.

Granted the above is a pretty intensive list and more than you are looking for, but it might give you some ideas on what would be a good addition for YOU. The stuff that I use the most (or that I would recommend in a first kit). Would be my first 15 or so items. I routinely use the wrenches, O rings, allen keys, screw drivers, extra defog, lighter, and bolt snaps.

I am probably going to end up running home after work to see what I forgot....(the extra hoses and regulators, etc have their own Reg bag)

Two is one and One is none.....................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom