Dive Stories From Back In The Day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Most of us like dive stories, great things are happening all the time. How about when recreational diving was newer, when it really started to expand? Lots of us grew up underwater or as often as we could get there. So, what unusual experiences and memories come to mind? A cutoff of 1980 and before was proposed for starters. Early time on wrecks, in the caves, lakes, reefs when they looked quite a bit different, trips down to the islands, near misses, discoveries, etc. Folks remember Underseas Sports when it started, how about Divers Haven in Ft. Lauderdale, Norine Rouse on Singer Island, Slate and Carl Gage and their operations in Key Largo or Dean and Key West Divers? There is so much more beyond that. Lots of colorful characters and thousands of great experiences out there. A few stories are already up at:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vintage-equipment-diving/313549-vintage-diving-stories.html

Norine Rouse attended part of my NAUI ITC back in the day. Grand old lady.

I wasn't at UnderSeas Sports when Chuck started it, but I worked for the second owners for most of the time that they owned it. Who remembers Bryan and Mary Brooks and their kids? Most people thought I was one of their kids as well. Great memories.

I was also one of Slate's first customers, bought some stuff from him back in '78 when he first opened.

OK now I feel old!!!

When I was I kid, we had to walk 6 miles in the snow and rain to the ocean while carrying all of our gear......

I used to go out with Norine's operation as a teen on the Mispah. That was before the rained down tons of wrecks all over the place. It was worth the drive up from the three or so wrecks off Ft. Lauderdale at the time. I last dove were her on the Hole In The Wall with a boatload of 60 plus year old divers in about 1992. I was on air, dove a conservative profile, did a conservative safety stop and still got a niggle hit. The only one on board too with issues. A carry over from trimix diving in those days. She was a unique lady.

I started my Basic Naui course with Chuck at Divers Haven in 1971 and finished it at Underseas Sports south of the tunnel when he set up the first shop. There were a lot of real interesting personalities in the business in those days to be sure. I remember Bryan and Mary, did they take over Surf Sun and Fun on the beach just south of Sunrise before buying Chuck out?

Slate and I went through the YMCA ITC together. It was a real long course, seems like 12 weekends at FAU. I commuted from USF, it was a good excuse to head back home to the SE. Intense intriguing course though, learned a lot. I was surprised to see how much the content had been dumbed down many years later. Have we lost the capacity, mass marketing pressures overwhelmed things or what? I guess the same could be said about normal academia in some cases too. Not a great trend.

When I was a kid ...
I used to carry may tank rigged up in a dive bag, walked down the beach between lifeguard stands when they we're looking, sank the bag fast and walked out into deeper water. When I was at neck level, ducked under and walked out to the first reef using the regulator to gear up. The beach patrol didn't allow solo divers, they were quite strict about it too. Couldn't always find a buddy when conditions were right. Would reverse the process on the way in. Once I am fairly certain the legendary Capt. Gene Bergman of the FLBP chased me out free style on the surface. Fortunately, I out ran him on the bottom. Had an ongoing disagreement of sorts going with him for years over diving access. They would make up rules, I would comply, then they would make up new rules when I was ready to go and on. Thought about release nurse sharks near the beach from a cage, digging a lion trap for the jeeps, dumb stuff kids think up. He wasn't that bad, then again, he never caught me either. The good old days?

Norine Rouse attended part of my NAUI ITC back in the day. Grand old lady.

I wasn't at UnderSeas Sports when Chuck started it, but I worked for the second owners for most of the time that they owned it. Who remembers Bryan and Mary Brooks and their kids? Most people thought I was one of their kids as well. Great memories.

I was also one of Slate's first customers, bought some stuff from him back in '78 when he first opened.

OK now I feel old!!!

When I was I kid, we had to walk 6 miles in the snow and rain to the ocean while carrying all of our gear......
UP hill in both directions!

You were lucky. I had to run when I carried mine -- barefoot. Until we keeled over. Then we had to crawl the rest of the way.:babycrawl:

Seriously though, we used to have to use a hand pump to fill tanks to 2250 psi 72's worn in triplet, DPVs consisted of sharks in harness, (anyone ever see the B&W movie "Shark Power?"), used to ice dive in bathing trunks for a couple of hours and Popeye or was it Bluto was our idol.

No one said anything about being tougher back then. The ITC was more indepth than what I encountered a couple of decades later, likely a fluke, right?

Anyone have any real stories out there or too many near BO's take their toll. Probably did in my case and those are recent.

4 out of 1,878?

I took my YMCA Basic as my phys ed class at Temple University with the infamous Dr. Peter Lynch. I learned so much in my basic class, a 3 credit University class, that 1-1/2 years later, my NAUI ITC was a breeze.

I think Bryan and Mary bought the shop from Chuck without buying the other shop first, but I didn't know them then. I met them when their shop was across from Searstown. Early in my dive instructor career I worked half-time for the Brookses and half-time for Neal Watson who had office space in UnderSeas Sports. Neal was and still is one hell of a nice guy.

A favorite story of mine occurred while doing an early evening beach dive in the winter after the Mariel Boat Lift. Two friends and I were diving off one of the streets North of Sheridan St. in Hollywood...I think it was Cody Street. I know it was winter because we were all wearing our black rubber wetsuits (remember them?), which is an essential part of the story.

As we returned to shore after the dive, we saw two officers of the law waiting for us on the beach...laughing their butts off. Apparently someone in the nearby apartments or condos reported "Cubans swimming onto the beach" and called the police on us. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom