Dive stops in Western Caribbean (Carnival Cruise lines) - Advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please continue to post your trip reports, or a link to them. I'm headed to the Western Caribbean on Carnival's VALOR on 06 SEP. I don't have any dive op's selected yet, but am considering a shore dive on Grand Cayman, to reduce costs, and the ship's excursion (this will be the first time I use a ships offering) in Belize. Not sure about Coz or Roatan yet.

Someone suggested Roatan Salt & Pepper Club but I've never read anything about them - anyone have any first hand experience with them? I'd also like any updates to Subway. I read some poor reviews right after they moved, but how are they now?

I'm using the search function to review older threads, so please don't suggest that. What I'm really looking for contemporary information, within the last 6 - 12 months, not discussions 4-5 years ago where conditions may have been different.

I'd also like any updates to Subway. I read some poor reviews right after they moved, but how are they now?

I'm using the search function to review older threads, so please don't suggest that. What I'm really looking for contemporary information, within the last 6 - 12 months, not discussions 4-5 years ago where conditions may have been different.
Did you see my post, #40 on this thread?

Did you see my post, #40 on this thread?

Yes, and thank you. That prompted my post. I read a lot of negative reports from 3-4 years ago, and I see people planning on using them, so was hoping to get some additional current input.

We were on the Carnival Valor Nov '08 and booked through Carnival for Grand Cayman and Roatan. Grand Cayman was Don Fosters. The West Wall was blown out, so we bussed to the South side and dove spur and groove reefs. Looked just like Key Largo, but deeper as I hit 76' and 63'. Cattle boat. Not too impressed, just ok.

Roatan was Anthony's Key with Carnival. These guys are good, if a bit unorganized. Green Outhouse Wall was amazing! We stayed at Bananarama before and would recommend that operation. We're saving our pennies to go back to Roatan.

Didn't dive Belize. Zip-Line through Carnival. 2 hour bus ride, short hike, about 90 actual seconds air-time over maybe 6 lines, 2 hour bus ride. Been there, done that. Don't recommend this.

Cozumel...we booked Aldora Divers. 6 pack with 4 divers + dive master, steel 120's. He gave us options and left it up to us to choose the dive. Highly recommend thses guys. Their website says they will reimburse you for the taxi ride. It's Mexico. Forgetaboutit.

Anyway, book the later dinner seating. You will be rushed to get back on board and clean up to make the early seating. And, February was to be the end of the jazz trio in Winston's bar (no smoking...yeah!). Too bad, the band was great.

Have Fun and have a few Funships for me,
Gary

Just came off the Valor last week. We did not go to Cozumel this time, but I've been diving there before off a cruise ship and went with Sand Dollar, so can speak to that.

Grand Cayman: Operation is Don Foster's Dive. There was 16 on the dive boat, which is too many for me. We were separated into two groups of 8 for the diving and the briefing. Brian was the DM I liked the best -- he seemed like he truly loved diving and being a DM. It was an OK experience... the reef seemed over-dived and the staff seemed somewhat jaded toward the regular cruise ship tourists. I'd probably book my own dive next time. Eden Rock was a short walk... maybe 4-6 blocks to the right along the shoreline as you are looking toward the shore from the ship. Don't know anything about their op, but the shop looked clean from the outside.

Roatan: We booked our own. We dived with Anthony's Key from the Valor last time and it was terrible. Forty people on a single boat and terrible equipment. I understand that they split the group this time around and the experience is MUCH different if you actually stay at the resort (sign-up for diving on a board, smaller boats and groups). We booked with Bananarama and it was the BEST dives of the trip. Martin was our DM. The resort has a great beach with a shady bar and live music. Definitely worthwhile. We also stayed on Roatan for a week and dived with Coconut Tree and were very happy with them as well. Small groups, nice service -- we would definitely dive with them again. Just don't stay at the cabins behind the dive shop (they look nice from the OUTSIDE...). Definitely consider diving in Roatan.

Belize: Op is Belize Dive Connection (Hugh Parkey Belize Dive Connection - Accommodations). The dive boat picks you up and drops you off at the ship (it's a tender port, as is Grand Cayman), so you won't be able to do any other activities or shopping if you dive. It's about 30 minutes from the ship to their private island, then another 30 minutes to the dive sites. The timing meant diving as the tide was going out and there was enough current that our second dive became a drift dive. The viz was poor, the reef was nothing special, and the long distance makes this the most expensive of all the dive trips on the itinerary. I would probably skip Belize.

Cozumel: Dived with Sand Dollar last time we were there several years ago. Small group, DM was Miguel N (Abuello/"grandfather"). I was very happy with the dive and the operation -- one of our top 5 dives (my hubby's #1 ever and my #2 (I liked the shark dive in Bora Bora just a little better)). Cozumel was a drift dive and we had amazing viz. I would book with them again separately or off a cruise ship. I can understand wanting to try someone else to experience something different, but if it ain't broke...

The ships really don't understand divers, but seem to be offering more diving as it's popular. After doing this several times now, I am tending towards booking my own boats. Better if you have a group of 6 or more. Best is to stay on a island if you find something good off the ship and understand that you will likely not be diving the best sites from the ship -- it will be better diving when you stay. We did have some great diving on the Southern Caribbean cruise off of the Victory in January. Especially notable was Dominica... excellent diving.

Have a great trip and I hope this was helpful.

Oh, one more thing. Did the horseback riding in Belize that promised a "ride through the jungle, monkeys, parrots...". Well, the jungle was "too muddy" and after a 2 hour bus ride each way, we rode on the hot and dusty roads of a farm near the border. If you are thinking of booking something, call and talk to someone in shore excursions before you book to find out if it is operating as outlined on the website. If you get there and it doesn't look like what was promised, do not participate as participation = no refund.

We HAVE had some great shore excursions off the cruise ships. My advice is to ask a lot of questions and not to take the description as gospel.

Cozumel: Sand Dollar
Belize: Turneffe Atoll
Isla Roatan: Anthony's Key
Grand Cayman: wall dive followed by a shallow reef or wreck dive.

Any help or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

In Belize, go with the ship dive. I beleive they still use Hugh PArkey, who did a great job. You can't really setup your own dives because the ship anchors out in deep water and they take you in on tenders. Trying to arrange your own pickup and drop off will be really stressful.

Cozumel has a lot of great Dive Ops. Blue XTSea has always been great to work with, although I'm sure others do a nice job also. If you have a few extra dollars, you can rent the whole boat (6-pack) and the DM will show you around at your own pace. They're great dives!

For any of the others, I'd book through the ship at least until you've done a few cruises. The private dives are generally better, but they also require that you really have your act together for getting off the ship on time, getting to shore and getting transportation to the dive op.

Also, if you have the money, buy all your own gear except tanks and weights. The rental gear is sometimes excellent, and sometimes awful and sometimes fits and sometimes doesn't. If you have your own stuff, you know how it works, where everything is and how it's been maintained. Even better, it won't be different gear every time you change islands.

Terry

Just got back from my trip on the Valor (June 7-14). Had an excellent time on the ship and loved their steak house (optiaonal restaurant). I guess we can start a seperate post on food and ship.

As for the the dives, I had 2 planned at Roatan and Cozumel. Had to cancel Cozumel (Scuba w/Alisson) due to the changed itinerary. This was really upsetting since this is my favorite location for diving. I dove at Roatan with Bananarama and had 2 exceptional dives. I arranged it beforehand and was picked up at pier and taken to the beach resort. The family lounged on their sandy beach while I had 2 outstanding dives with DM Mal. This is a great operation and offer Nitrox as well. They got me back to the pier well in time for departure.

In Belize I recommend going with the ship's excursion since you tender at sea and are picked up right at the ship. This is VERY convenient since it can be difficult to get to the mainland in time for your dive with an outside operation. You are tendered 3.5 miles from the port and the tender boats are limited. Also the area directly outside the port looks a bit shady for getting around with your family. I just did not feel comfortable outside of this port. Wife got the same vibe as well. I personally did the cave tubing excursion instead of the dive.

I will be on the Carnivals Dream Dec 12,09. I looking for other divers that would be interested in doing dives at the different location this ship will be stopping at.:cool2:

Most ships dock from 8am to 5pm - i noticed that the outfit in Cozumel offers a 2 tank morning and evening dive - is there enough time to do 4 dives and get back to the ship?:D

Funny,

it's the exact cruise we'll be taking in March.

We won't be using Carnival's dive ops though.

Here's our list:

Back
Top Bottom