Dive spots in the Northeast for New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kpleynes

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I live in New Jersey and just got certified. I would like to get recommendations on dive spots in the northeast for new divers.
Are there any?

Thanks!

I'm also a fairly new diver. there are a handful of spots here but dutch seems to be the best from what i'm hearing....hopefully i'll be there on sunday to see for myself :)

:spider:

I would recommend Dutch also.

There is a place in NJ.
I haven't been there yet.
I'm hoping to check it out next spring.

Round Valley
Parks Department

It might not be good for beginners but I know there are shops that do their check out dives there.

...is a big-ass radius!

Think about it...

Jersey shore (all of it)
Dutch
Round Valley
Willow Springs
Delware River
Most of New York State
Connecticut
MAssachusetts
Hell, New Hampshire's lakes are within six hours
Maybe even Tobermory! (nah -- that would be 8 to 10)

So, in short, 4 to 6 hours from New Jersey puts you in one hell of a lot of water -- salt and fresh!

Curly once bubbled...
...is a big-ass radius!

Think about it...

Jersey shore (all of it)
Dutch
Round Valley
Willow Springs
Delware River
Most of New York State
Connecticut
MAssachusetts
Hell, New Hampshire's lakes are within six hours
Maybe even Tobermory! (nah -- that would be 8 to 10)

So, in short, 4 to 6 hours from New Jersey puts you in one hell of a lot of water -- salt and fresh!

So, are you saying that all of these are ok for new divers???

Depending on where you live in NJ you are not all that far from the St Lawrence River and the 1000 Islands, either US or Canada. Drive up Friday night and do 2 boat dives on wrecks Sat AM and a shore dive that afternoon. Sunday is 2 more boat dives and you are home for a fashionably late dinner. If you tell the DM that you are new he will certainly take that into consideration and give you suggestions as to when his trips may fit your experience level. Dove 2 weeks ago and it was still 69 degrees at 85'. Viz has been 50' to 80' all summer. This area has little or no thermocline. Stay wet.

Back
Top Bottom