Dive Specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No offense... but taking specialty courses for the sake of getting a commercially driven rating like master diver seems like a waste of time and money. Don't get me wrong, time in the water is all good, but the things you're taught in many of those courses should have been learned in AOW. Taking a search and recovery, boat diving, wreck, night, or deep course is like spending extra time in training wheels, at the cost of a year's worth of lunch money. It's just PADI's way of generating dough, or assimilating you into the collective, beware... they are insidious.
If you feel you need the supervision, I think you'd be further ahead to hook up with some experienced divers, and dive like hell with them. The best divers I know have spent the least time in courses. You really can learn all that stuff on your own, with the exception of nitrox, rescue, photo etc...
No doubt I've irritated some folks with this, but I feel strongly on this point. Bottom line is to dive safe and choose whatever suits you best, both paths will get you there, one will just leave you with a touch less coin.

dive safe all....

i'd second kevin's advice. Call NTD www.northerntechdiver.com and look into a DIR-F. No joke it will make your diving like 100% better. Dan tought an A + course and not because it was GUE but because he is an active first rate instructor. And of course Tom does a great video job of every dive that you do, even though sometimes u may wish he didn't.

ps. not trying to start any gue vs anti-gue bs, so plz dont ruin this trend

I've consistently heard excellent things about both the Fundamentals course and Dan Mckay. You couldn't go wrong with either one and you'd advance your skills far more than in most any specialty class.

and the sheep shall be led to slaughter...........

It's not course that's important, it's the Instructor. Go with who you PERSONALLY feel confident in.

S.O.S.

If you read the post it said "A + course and not because it was GUE but because he is an active first rate instructor" Its the instructor and not the agency.
Some specialty courses are worth their weight in gold while on the other hand some are just a useless excuse to make a few extra bucks. I was simply giving my opion on what i would do and what i would recommed to others as an option to consider when looking at a course to improve skills and ultimately make diving more fun. I also think every diver should strive to gain more knowledge by taking an AOW and a rescue class.

instead of bashing and wasting space make a recomendation on what classes you liked and what classes were a waste to a diver interested in gaining more knowledge.

S'ok Eric ... some people are a little sensitive about this I guess.

So where have you and Daniel been? Haven't seen you guys since Sept. I was with a few people at NTD today. Doing some shore dives in Kingston.

The nitrox course is a must , and the advanced is handy to have , but the course I learned the most on was the DIR-F, the other courses can be fun, I personally think they are a money grab...but if you can get a good instructor and meet some cool people...then it will be a benefit to you....enjoy and dive,dive dive....:)

Yes the NTD boys have been quiet ....I have a feeling they are enjoying themselves somewhere warm....and dark....

mwilding once bubbled...
Well, I am heading towards Padi Master Scuba Diver Rating so I need 5 to get it.

So far I have Nitrox and Drysuit. Nitrox is very valuable and I combined it with AOW to save some cash. I bought my drysuit on the internet, so I paid to get trained on it.

My plans are to get Deep and Wreck plus one more to be determined later. I might take DPV while in Key West in March. Other ones I would like to take are Underwater Navigation and Cavern.

The way things are going, the specialties will be done before I hit the magic 50 dive number...

I doubt you will get credit towards your PADI Master Diver for a DIRF course. LOL.

I also doubt that PADI's Master Diver course will be worth much to you except for another patch.

PADI has some great courses. Their Dive Master course, with its Encyclopoedia of Recreational Diving, will teach you the most of any PADI course. It is well worth taking.

You need to be a rescue diver, CPR & First Aid, and O2 Provider, to qualify for PADI's D/M course. There is also a lot of watermanship taught in the D/M course.

My recommendation is to skip the PADI Master Diver patch and move on to the PADI D/M course.

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

I doubt you will get credit towards your PADI Master Diver for a DIRF course. LOL.
Where did I say DIRF?
I also doubt that PADI's Master Diver course will be worth much to you except for another patch.
It isn't a course
PADI has some great courses. Their Dive Master course, with its Encyclopoedia of Recreational Diving, will teach you the most of any PADI course. It is well worth taking.
Not really interested in being a dive shop's *****...
You need to be a rescue diver, CPR & First Aid, and O2 Provider, to qualify for PADI's D/M course. There is also a lot of watermanship taught in the D/M course.
I already have rescue and have far more medical training than PADI could ever give me.
My recommendation is to skip the PADI Master Diver patch and move on to the PADI D/M course.
After Master Diver, it'll be just dive and then dive some more until I feel I am ready for moving onto tech diving...

Back
Top Bottom