Dive Slates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kkoski

Registered
Reaction score
What is the name of the type of plastic dive slates are made of?

Does anyone know where you could buy it in bulk by the sheet?

Thanks,

Katrina

4" pvc pipe available at you're local harware store should do the trick....or custom fit one by sticking your arm inside of pipes remembering to allowr for and exposure suit :D

I can see myself getting my arm stuck in a pipe in Home Depot. :D

What about for flat slates? Can you get flat sheets of PVC? Are the flat slates PVC or another type of plastic?

Thanks,

Katrina

may sound stupid, but I have often wondered about those small kitchen cutting boards at the dollar store.

They are white plastic, non-stick material, have a nice big oval hole to grip them by, and it seems to perform the same with a normal pencil.

They are a fair bit bigger than a standard dive slate, and cheap enough :wink:

I found a broken handicapped parking sign on the road (broken/typhoon debris/of no use to anyone!) with a plain, white back. It was a bit thin, so I glued 2 "printed" sides together, and had a free dive slate. Speaking of which, I can't understand the reason for those little, rough-sided white slates..(the smooth ones are ok)...hard to write on, hard to erase. Maybe ok for big words (Shark!) but not for small print with a lot of data from the dive, fish seen, etc.

Chris
dive@letsdiveguam.com

They do sell flat sheets of PVC but it's not widely available and if I remember right it's kind of expensive for the size.

Another option for flat sheet PVC is to buy, or scroung from a construction site, a lenght of tube, cut off a piece that will fit in your home oven, cut it down one side from end to end, heat your oven to 400 degrees and place the tube in the oven for about 5 minutes. PVC turns to rubber when it's heated and produces little if any smell, as long as you don't burn it. Once it's hot and flexable take it out and quickly, as it cools fast, place it on something smooth, flat and capeable of withstanding the heat, place a piece of plywood on top and set something heavy on top of the plywood, I used a few bags of mulch I had laying around.

When everything cools the PVC will be a flat sheet and you can cut it to any size and shap you want. You could use this same technique to form a piece to the shape of your arm if you wanted to make a wrist slate. Of course you wouldn't want to use your own arm as a mold, maybe your dive buddy's. :wacko:

Scott

Just a thought but I have been using a kid's toy: Its a mini magna doodle. They cost $6.00 a piece at the toy store and work great.

The only bad thing about the toys-r-us magna doodle is they don't look as cool as the quest. Not like that will make any difference though.

Go to the bath section at any home improvement warehouse and look for the shower surrounds. The sheets vary in size and thickness (not to mention price). If you only need a small piece then stop in about 20min before they close and ask if they sell any small pieces. Tell them you bought a shower kit the day before, installed it, but you accidentally cut out for the shower head on the back wall piece and you wanted to patch it. They will probably just give you a hunk for free from an open return in the back if they have any. The secret is to be "willing to pay anything" or "try any alternative". They are pretty cool and willing to help especially right before closing.

:spaninq:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom