Dive Slate improvements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron Lambright

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello.
I've just recently added a slate to my repertoire. It has been handy to have and makes my buddy and I feel silly for not using one earlier. That said, are there any suggestions for making it a bit easier to read. Diving in inland lakes it can be a little dark and trying to read the fine pencil marks can become tricky. I've pondered grease pencils and carpenter pencils, figuring the thicker points would help but was afraid to try and end up ruining the slate. What have some of you folks tried to make the marks darker and easier to read?

Thanks in advance!

Lab I worked for used Mylar sheets taped to slates with electric tape and stacking point pencils like the ones you get for little kids. Mylar helps you remove the sheet if you want to keep the notes/data, and the stacked points means if you break one you don't have the issue of needing to sharpen a pencil somehow underwater.

I stuck the used points in my gloves to discard later.

Try Pilot Lead Holder Croquis, 6B (HA-CR4-6B)

214GvSYZQIL._AC_SY400_.jpg

All plastic so no rusting or problems sharpening

Also check out

Underwater Notepad | Dive Gear Express®

Better than a slate the pages tear out for easy saving notes etc.

The underwater notebook also works as a refill for the diverite wetnotes cover.

I bought a couple of these based on another thread here. Pop the back cap off and a bungee fits through perfectly.

Edit: Warren beat me by a second, same thing.

Try Pilot Lead Holder Croquis, 6B (HA-CR4-6B)

View attachment 585836

All plastic so no rusting or problems sharpening

Also check out

Underwater Notepad | Dive Gear Express®

Better than a slate the pages tear out for easy saving notes etc.

The underwater notebook also works as a refill for the diverite wetnotes cover.
Definitely this. And the 6B thick lead is critical.
The only decent competitor is the AquaPencil.

Also, darker marks can be harder to erase.... but magic eraser sponges seem to remove all of them!

Also, darker marks can be harder to erase.... but magic eraser sponges seem to remove all of them!
Yes, magic eraser sponges.
They work fine on blank slates/paper, but if there is printing on the slate (like an instructor slate or a REEF fish ID form) the magic eraser will tend to wear away that printing. Soft-scrub is messier, but less aggressive.

I like the tear off sheets so I can just tear it off and put it away for when I download my computer I write down divesite/boat/dive notes along with entry/exit pressure so I dont have to try remembering later for my log.

Back
Top Bottom