Dive skins...a question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter's right. As far as warmth, they contribute nothing. They actually seem to increase heat loss once you peel the wetsuit down and the open air hits the skin, especially if the wind's blowing. I only use mine to make putting the wetsuit on a little easier.

I've never tried a skin, but I'm wondering if they would actually make you less warm if they prevent the wetsuit from being in direct contact with your real skin. What do you think?

Hemlon:
One of my dive friends claims that wearing a dive skin under a wetsuit increases the thermal protection of the wetsuit.

While she admits that a dive skin worn alone does not provide any thermal protection, she claims that the dive skin worn under the wetsuit slows the water exchange more than just the wetsuit alone.

Is there any truth to this?

A true shin, that is a non neoprene garment is just wet cloth providing a water migration path. Otherwise "skin in" suits would not be noted for their effectiveness.

If your friends wetsuit fits poorly (loose) a skin could close up some gaps, tightening the fit and improving the situation a little. In that case 2 wrongs could lend a grain of truth.

Pete

Hemlon:
One of my dive friends claims that wearing a dive skin under a wetsuit increases the thermal protection of the wetsuit.

While she admits that a dive skin worn alone does not provide any thermal protection, she claims that the dive skin worn under the wetsuit slows the water exchange more than just the wetsuit alone.

Is there any truth to this?
Physics
Water has two thermal properties.

It is an reasonable insulator. Teachers demonstate this by boiling water at the top of testube without melting ice held (by wrapping it in wire gauze) at the bottom of the same tube.

It has a large thermal capacity so it can move heat around if it moves. Its great for central heating.

So the dive skin covererd by a wet suit, to stop the water moving away, does trap a layer of insulating water .. so life is warmer.

The dive skin alone alows the water to be exchanged almost as fast as if it were not there. Heat is carried away and little benfit is noticed.

History
When I first started diving we made wetsuts fron unlined neoprene. We did not often admit it in those macho days but we would wear womens tights under our suits for a little added warmth. (They helped in donning the suits too).

In conclusion I believe what your friends senses tell her ....but have a slightly different view on why.

In warm tropical waters, I just love to dive with a dive skin and then have a sleeveless step-in on top. I never enter the water without any protection on. I've had problems in the past with an allergic reatcion to jelly fish. The skin gives me the dermall protection that I need and the step-in gives me the thermal protection that I must have. I wear the pattern Tresor from divegoddess with a teal colored step-in from a little company that I'm affilated with. This is a very colorful and inexpensive way to have a nice tropical suit.
Carolyn

I wear one of 2 skins under my wetsuit. One is just a nylon shell and the other is a nylon shell with a fleece lining. I would have to say the the skin alone does add a little warmth, most likely because it acts as a gasket between me and the wetsuit keeping the water exchange down. I mainly wear it because it makes the wetsuit slide on easier and acts as a sun screen between dives. The fleece lined one is a different matter. It def adds a good bit of warmth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom