dive skin recommendation for roatan please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never wear less than a 3mm, even in Palau in 84 degree water! I also wear a beanie on my head. I don't move around much (shooting video, watching fish behavior, etc) , so I don't create heat. In Roatan and Cozumel I wore a 5mm (water was 78-80 degrees) as I was doing 3-5 dives per day over a week timeframe. No way I would have worn less.

robin:D

I always wear a 3mm full body for more than just thermal protection.

My daughter wears a 5 mm full body and still gets cold!

I am with Robint...I always seem to get cold. I know last year I think one dive I didn't wear my 3m
and I got chilled. I would much rather be warm than cold. Guess it depends on you...

CajunDiva: What model of Henderson skin do you have?
Boricuamojao: Is your neosport a Henderson? And where did you get it online for $30

Thanks
Betty

Two weeks ago the water temp. was 84. I wore a rash guard top & swimsuit. My dive buddy wore a full skin. Way too warm for anything thicker:D

CajunDiva: What model of Henderson skin do you have?
Boricuamojao: Is your neosport a Henderson? And where did you get it online for $30

Thanks
Betty

Hi Betty -

The skin I have is a Henderson "HotSkins" model. I love it. Very comfortable and very stretchy. I also bought the NeoSport, which is a scaled-down model made by Henderson also. Having both of them, I much prefer the "HotSkins". Just my personal opinion:wink:

Two weeks ago the water temp. was 84. I wore a rash guard top & swimsuit. My dive buddy wore a full skin. Way too warm for anything thicker:D
IMO, it depends as much on how much time you are spending in the water as anything else. For a couple dives a day, maybe a couple hours per day in 84° water, a skin or rash guard and boardshorts might be OK.

But if you are spending four or five hours in the water, day after day, diving a diveskin will definitely leave you more than just chilled. You can start to lower your core body temperature, even in 84° water.

Personally, I dive a full 3mm in the summer in Roatan, and I'm considering a 5mm for my next trip this December.

(Hi Ann! :happywave:)

John_B

Back
Top Bottom