Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the best source (both online and also in book form) to learn as much as possible about the various dive sites on Coz. I want to make sure that I am as knowledgeble as possible so I can try to pick the right sites for each day of diving.

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

PS. I remember one web site that had sort of a 3-D map that you could click on each dive site. I can't remember the web site though. Anyone know which one I am talking about?

We bought "Diving Cozumel" (by Steve Rosenberg, Aqua Quest Publications, NY, maybe a telephone of 1-800-933-8989), and it seems pretty good. Last edition is August 1999. Price is listed as $18.95. Good descriptions of many dive sites.

richhagelin:
What is the best source (both online and also in book form) to learn as much as possible about the various dive sites on Coz. I want to make sure that I am as knowledgeble as possible so I can try to pick the right sites for each day of diving.

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

PS. I remember one web site that had sort of a 3-D map that you could click on each dive site. I can't remember the web site though. Anyone know which one I am talking about?

I don’t know if it is the "best source" but I have a pretty comprehensive page on diving in Cozumel at: http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_diving.html
It should get you started in the right direction anyway.

JK
http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/santa_fe.html

richhagelin:

I see you got some good reponses, but let me interject that (IMO, of course) there is not a bad dive site at Cozumel. The only thing I would be concerned about is being taken on a dive that is more advanced than your skills are up to, but a few words with the dive op on your experience level should easily deal with that. As to picking dive sites, it depends on with whom you are diving; some ops pick you up with a definite agenda in mind, some use a vote or an informal discussion among the divers aboard to decide.

Other than that, in the immortal words of whoever said it, "it's ALL good."

"Diving Cozumel" by Steve Rosenberg and the new 3D book are both excellent. I also agree with Gordon, there are no bad dives sites and it doesn't really matter what site you dive next except that the more advanced dives are best left to the more experienced divers.

I have to agree about the Cozumel Dive Guide. It's a very informative book with 3D fold out maps of most of the dive sites, along with a general summary of each reef, including marine life, difficulty level, depths, etc. Granted, it doesn't have every dive site in Cozumel but it's just the first edition. Matt at Deep Blue told me they are planning on updating and adding to it in the future. You can pick it up on the website ScubaTexas posted, or buy it on the island at various dive shops, including Deep Blue.

Also, if you can hold off a bit, the 2nd Edition of "Diving Cozumel" is supposed to be released in May. Check www.amazon.com for more details.

Angie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom