Dive Sites in Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went diving in Osezaki on Izu a couple of weeks ago. I dived in a 3 mil shorty. I was a bit cold since I've mostly dived in Malaysia, Thailand and Micronesia but I did ok. I got to see some lionfish, moray eels(several varieties), clownfish and etc. It was a lot better than I thought. I'm part of a military dive club near Tokyo and I can get free tanks of air. With a new baby I'm a bit busy but if I can find time I'd be glad to get someone interested in diving air and go diving.

Thank you, that is very kind.
I will take you up on the offer, really soon. I will be in Japan by end of aug or early sep.

My email is alrick.dorett@tequila.com.sg

please email me, so I can keep your contact and call/email you when I am coming/there.

Cheers!

crazed_dolphin once bubbled...
I went diving in Osezaki on Izu a couple of weeks ago. I dived in a 3 mil shorty. I was a bit cold since I've mostly dived in Malaysia, Thailand and Micronesia but I did ok. I got to see some lionfish, moray eels(several varieties), clownfish and etc. It was a lot better than I thought. I'm part of a military dive club near Tokyo and I can get free tanks of air. With a new baby I'm a bit busy but if I can find time I'd be glad to get someone interested in diving air and go diving.

I went diving in Osezaki on Izu a couple of weeks ago

In a PM to Sinners I told him not to go to Ozekzaki this time of year - did you find a spot on the beach or was it covered in o/w students.....

Sunfish - welcome back! Long time no hear.... It's a bit like the difference between British Divers and divers that dive in Britain - the former do it on holiday once a year. This time a year the beaches are full of people doing their o/w to go on holiday - those of you that actually dive all year round are good but I am sure you will agree the others hauled in by the lurkers in Shinjuku are another matter....

Hey TJO - free air! When we going beach diving.....

A slight aside - the viz won't be so great in Okinawa thisweekend. Batten down the hatches folks and ganbarimasu...

Jonathan

Thank you all for the information you have given me on the sites, but does anyone know which operator I should use or has anyone got any recommendations?

Cheers!
Alrick

Izu I am not aware of any English speaking operators that have their own boats - mainly because the boats are owned by Japanese fishermen.

You are better off teaming up with a club or instructor that speaks English. You already know Patric, then there is Matt (marscuba) and Toyo that I know of in Tokyo. Toyo is your man for technical stuff - if he's around.

Or you team up with a foreigner that speaks the lingo, like TJO on the board here, or a local that speaks English - when you going to come say hi Sunfish?

Jonathan

Jonathan once bubbled...

In a PM to Sinners I told him not to go to Ozekzaki this time of year - did you find a spot on the beach or was it covered in o/w students.....

Jonathan,

The OW students Osezaki stay at the beach right on the main strip next to the parking lot and the dive shops. If you go deeper past Manbo the last dive shop there is a shrine. Go past the shrine for about 10 minutes there is an excellent site. To get to the water you have to walk over about 40 metres of rocks but the place is not crowded. Besides my group of 6 there was perhaps no more than 10 others near this spot.

Open water certification in Osezaki? Impressive, but it's my u nderstanding that the best diving to be done there are boat dives...and Jonathan's right about the boats, they're mostly chartered fishing boats. Some of the fishermen are commercial divers themselves and can be quite helpful.

No one's posted here in a while, but I'll go ahead and put up a reply in case it can still help someone.

I haven't been diving in Okinawa since 1997, but the names of two dive operations that keep coming up are Fathoms and Reef Encounters. I've never used either, but from my correspondence with both the owner of Fathoms and local divers on Okinawa, my gut tells me that Fathoms is a tourist trap. Boat dives through Reef Encounters are reportedly Y9000pp, gear included (Fathoms is Y12,500pp). They can also arrange trips to outlying islands. Here are the URLs of both dive operations:

http://www.fathoms.net
http://www.reefencounters.org

Fathoms was still around when I left in March, but I have heard that Rich Ruth was leaving the island. I never paid that much for one of his boat trips. They were 6-7,000 yen. But then, I had all my own gear too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom