Dive shops that fill Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrabdiver111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I live in Concord and am thinking about getting my nitrox cert. real soon and would like to know if there are any dive shops around my area that fill nitrox. I own two 100hp tanks and I would like to use them both. Do any of you guys know the closest dive shop in my area that do this?

Thanks,
Rob

That would be in Pittsburg. What was known as ADT aka Advanced Dive Training. They closed their shop, but still do fills for people. You drop your tanks off to a gym, and pick them up from there too. They bank 36%, and can blend anything you want. When we are in Monterey we always fill our tanks at Aquarius on Del Monte. They bank 32%. There are a couple of shops in the San Jose area also.

Either way it makes sense to get nitrox certified, for occasions when you can get nitrox. The bands on the tanks and O2 cleaning are not the way to go. Often places will not fill them with air if the tank has nitrox bands on them. The bands can cause the tank to corrode. Without o2 cleaning safety requires either continues blending or banked. Few do partial pressure blending in volume anyhow to require O2 cleaning.

Seems few dive shops see a profit in selling $10 per HP tank fills. Their cost per tank is not that great. Somewhere around $2.80 a tank, plus labor. Still profitable in volume.

Yeah... That part of the Bay (Concord, Martinez, P-Hill, Pitts/Ant) kinda sucks for nitrox fills...ADT is the only one in the area that does it... You only other bet would be to come down to Dublin/Hayward to Captain Aqua's... Or if ya come down Vasco Rd into Livermore you can go to Dive N Trips that fill Nitrox....

Thanks for the info. Peter C. and JT851. I went down to the LDS and got my nitrox packet today, which I just about have done now. Interesting stuff! Pittsburg isn't too bad for me. Plus I can always top off at Aquarius on the way out of Monterey.

Rob

Aquarius is very convenient in a pinch - they're on the way and almost never busy early in the morning. But good luck trying to get an overfill from them :)

Speaking of overfills, does anyone know any shops in the Monterey area that will overfill?

There's no Nitrox fills in the Northbay, either. I have to head down to Wallin's on the Peninsula to get a fill (unless someone knows otherwise)...

I say yes, get your Nitrox certification. It's definitely a plus when doing liveaboard diving - you'll get more, longer dives in during your trip. I just got back from a 3-day trip, and it made a difference for me.

... and there's nothing wrong with more knowledge

Diveguy1, keep hounding Marin Scuba Diving, across from the blue roof, and they might start doing nitrox again. There was a time that they used too.

It really blows my mind that NO ONE around is willing to bank 32%. The cost is not that much, nor is the work load increase.

We have two local stores Pinnacle's and Bamboo Reef. If I was one of them since they are close to each other, I would be trying to find a way to grab the others customers. To do that you have to offer something that the other shop does not....Hmmmm Nitrox maybe?

I agree with you Peter C, with the economy the way it is right now I'd be trying anything to increase business. That would include trying to grab more customers by offering something the other businesses dont. I really dont understand why more dive shops dont at LEAST bank nitrox. I am seeing/hearing a growing demand for it.

I just got my enriched air cert. yesterday as well!!!! Im pumped!! Cant wait to try it.

Your absolutely right Diveguy1, theres nothing wrong with more knowledge.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom