Dive Shops - South Houston to Galveston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RainTurtle

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking for a good dive shop down in the South Houston, Clear Lake, Galveston area. We live in Texas City and I'd like to find someplace to take our tanks for inspection, etc. I'm from Austin and still rely on Oak Hill Scuba for a lot of things but I would like to find a shop down in my area for convenience plus I'd like to start diving in the area now that my daughter is 10 months - I got pregnant right after moving here hence the lack of diving in the area.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Suzanne

RainTurtle:
Hi. I'm looking for a good dive shop down in the South Houston, Clear Lake, Galveston area. We live in Texas City and I'd like to find someplace to take our tanks for inspection, etc. I'm from Austin and still rely on Oak Hill Scuba for a lot of things but I would like to find a shop down in my area for convenience plus I'd like to start diving in the area now that my daughter is 10 months - I got pregnant right after moving here hence the lack of diving in the area.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Suzanne

I sent you a PM.

Regards,

Did you ever find a shop. I noticed no one mentioned the two shops that are in Clear Lake, which would be the closest to Tx. City.

Last week I went to one of the shops off 45 in the Clear Lake area as a friend of mine needed to purchase a few things before we went to Honduras. I joined the dive club Lunarfins out in this area and they are going to take care of my tank inspections so I just need to figure out which shop around can do annuals for my reg, etc. I'm going to try the other shop off 45 in the Clear Lake area and see what it is like.

Thanks,
Suzanne : )

Which one did you visit? I have been to both. They both work on regs but one of them has a hard time getting parts and does not keep many in stock. They always have to order stuff and it seems to me that it takes them weeks to get it done (and they charge more last time I checked). The other does there repair work every weekend and keeps at least a $1000 in parts in stock at all times. (I have seen them.) Their tech has been with them since 1991.

So which one is which? If you are being accurate and honest, names are fair game.

Well, Everytime I go into Sport Divers I don't see that many BC's, etc. in stock or at least on display and as for service, you have to wait for weeks sometimes for them to get the parts in. Divers Paradise across the street seems to always have tons of BC's, suits, masks, etc. always on the self and they charge less for service (last time I checked) and have it done usually every weekend. The only time they usually have to order parts is if it is a brand that they don't sell (Even then, they have some of those in stock too.) Sport Divers it's hard to find help sometimes. They just let you wonder without talking to you. Divers Paradise usually asks if you need help when you come in (though the owner can be a little crass if your just there to look-he thinks your just waiting for a movie to start and wasting his time). They also have most prices that match or beat online sites!

Hi all - I am an AI (soon to be instructor) with Sport Diver's and a member of LunarFins (JSC dive club) - been with SD 9 years. Glad to hear of some of the problems everyone has had - we want feedback like this so we can fix the issues. The owners have increased the stock at the store and will work with you. If you have any issues - please let them know or let me know on here and I will pass the info on.

I can never keep the shops straight. I went to the one on the southbound side of I-45in the Clear Lake area. They didn't have much of a selection of rash guards and skins. I was looking for something just for a little coverage while in Coz, and didn't have time to order online. I also looked at larger stores like Sun & Ski and Academy in Galveston, thinking they would have similar things for surfers, but NO ONE had much of anything, other than a few tops.

I realize they have a small storefront and don't have room to stock a huge variety. So I certainly don't blame them for not having what I was looking for. It would be nice if there were a store big enough to stock more variety in apparel. I'd rather shop for that in person than online.

The store on the southbound side of the highway did rent equipment to me once, and they were nice enough and had what I needed in good shape.

The store that is on the northbound side apparently closes very early, 6pm maybe? And since I get off work at 5:30 in Galveston, I have never managed to get there in time to shop. I have tried twice, and both times there were already closed.

I wish there were a big store in the area with good hours that catered to a variety of WATER SPORTS. They could sell dive equipment and apparel, plus items for surfers, swimsuits, beach supplies, etc. It seems like divers get totally left out of the equation. I don't get why stores like Sun & Ski don't include divers in their business plan. :-/

But whaddoiknow?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom