Dive Shops in New Orleans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon C

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looks like I will be on a business trip to New Orleans next week. Sneaking in a dive will be difficult, but I'd like to try.

Does anyone have any recommendations of dive shops in New Orleans that have 1/2 day trips or even local shore dives that I could contact? I will be there January 20-24th.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jon

I don't believe any of the New Orleans shops are running local trips especially since hurricane Katrina. Most diving in the New Orleans area is from private boats. Shore diving is pretty much non existant. Most diving is to the gulf oil rigs which is a 1 to 2 hour drive to the jump off points and then a 1 to 2 hour boat ride. You could shore dive in Lake Ponchatrain but vis is generally 1 to 5 feet and 15 feet deep with nothing to see anyway.
You can give Harry's Dive shop a call but I dought you will find anything.
http://www.harrysdiveshop.com/

There is no diving in NO. You would have to go about 60 miles South to get to the Gulf.

algulfdiver:
There is no diving in NO. You would have to go about 60 miles South to get to the Gulf.

Not entirely true, Louis Rossignal et al from the Helldivers spearfish the lake frequently.

True there is spearing in the lake and it's pretty good at times, but your best bet would for some easy diving would be to shoot on over to Alabama, about a 2 hour ride, and get in some diving there. I am sure Gary would hook you up. Later, Robbie

Thanks for the input...I am sorry to hear there aren't some local shore dive site in N.O. It would have been a kick to dive there. I will be in Alabama next month on biz and maybe I can put something together there. As I am traveling with my boss this time, I can't be as flexible with my time as I would like.

Jon

I'm also in the process of planning a trip to New Orleans, and naturally the first thing I thought of is...how do I get in some diving while I'm there? I'm disappointed to learn that there's no diving in the immediate vicinity, but I do have some flexibility in my schedule -- if there's diving anywhere within driving distance, I could tack on an extra day to my trip and go there.

Any suggestions? I checked out Gulfdiver.net, and it looks great -- but according to Mapquest it's an over three hour drive to get there. If that's the closest place, well okay I'll make it work...but it would be great if there's someplace closer. I've got my PADI AOW, and have 51 dives under my belt.

My trip is in early March. Can't wait to hear from those of you in the know about diving in the region!

LeeAnne

Leejnd:
I'm also in the process of planning a trip to New Orleans, and naturally the first thing I thought of is...how do I get in some diving while I'm there? I'm disappointed to learn that there's no diving in the immediate vicinity, but I do have some flexibility in my schedule -- if there's diving anywhere within driving distance, I could tack on an extra day to my trip and go there.

Any suggestions? I checked out Gulfdiver.net, and it looks great -- but according to Mapquest it's an over three hour drive to get there. If that's the closest place, well okay I'll make it work...but it would be great if there's someplace closer. I've got my PADI AOW, and have 51 dives under my belt.

My trip is in early March. Can't wait to hear from those of you in the know about diving in the region!

LeeAnne

Pensacola is more direct, but just about as far as Orange Beach (Where Gary's Gulf Diver is). If you're looking for shore dives I'd recommend Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. It would be difficult to find enough divers for a boat to go out in early March (not impossible, but you'd need at least 6 or deep pockets to charter the whole boat).

If it's over a weekend, drop me a line, and I'll try to line up some regulars to show you around.

Leejnd:

LeeAnne

Might want to head to Houston and check out dive spots. The shops down there do the Flower Garden, but I think that is an overnite trip.

Back
Top Bottom