Dive shop recommendations for Placencia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthias

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm taking a group to Belize next year and am considering adding some time in Placencia to possibly get to see whale sharks. It is the right time of the year and I can time it with the full moon. But the reviews of the local shops range from raves to total dish. Does anyone have recent personal experience in Placencia with dive operators or lodging? Also, any word about Avalon Divers?

Splash Divers. I was just diving with them during whale shark period in May! Twas grand!!

Contact Patti Ramirez and she will take great care of you.

I also loved Placencia village.

Ditto that. I'm headed to Placencia this August to dive with Splash for the third time. Great shop. Great people. Last time I was there they were just finishing up hosting a club from Idaho, and I was invited to their farewell dinner. They raved about the place.

If you have difficulty reaching Patty--emails can be iffy sometimes--don't hesitate to call or you can Private Message Ralph Capeling, Splash's other co-owner, who posts Whale Shark updates here on ScubaBoard.

Patty can help with accommodations. Lodging in Placencia ranges from the very high end, like Francis Ford Coppola's Turtle Inn where you can rub elbows with movie stars, to the very low end, think youth hostels sharing bunks and bathrooms, and all points in between. I'm rather partial to the Sea Glass Inn as it's just off the heart of the village, newly refurbished and the price is right.

Avadon Divers closed its doors a few months ago. The owner, Anne-Marie, now works as a dive instructor/guide at Turneffe Flats.

Thanks Downing and Chilly! My own conversations with Splash at DEMA, etc. sounded good. But I like to get divers' opinions.

I do know how erratic email can be in other places. We take it for granted here. And thanks for the info on Anne-Marie. I know Craig and Turneffe Flats well so that sounds like a good thing for both of them.

Any other opinions or likes of places to stay in Placencia?

We were going to dive with Splash and I liked the looks of Laru Beya - one of their package resorts. A little north but beachfront. Plans changed so we never got there.

I was pretty spoiled at Sea View Suites. Perfect location!! While I did take a look at a unit or two downstairs and they looked fine, since Sea View Suites didn't have a room for me on the main, I ended up in the huge suite upstairs. Like I said, completely and utterly spoiled. The owner operators and staff couldn't be sweeter, more helpful and kind.

---------- Post added June 28th, 2014 at 06:50 AM ----------

Also took a tour of One World. My friend and I thought the units we looked at were super in that Caribbean rustic way. Another diver who was staying there told us she loved it but there was a water pressure problem in her unit. Can't say that would apply in every unit because there were three separate buildings.

Laru Beya might be the resort that's right across the street from Splash. If that's the case, and you dive with Splash, you would be about a three minute walk away from the dive shop.

But wherever you stay, Splash uses shuttles to pick up and drop off its customers so don't let that necessarily be the deciding factor.

Laru Beya is also the title of a fantastic CD by an Andy Palacio protégé, Aurelio Martinez. Back in 2011, I had to drive all the way to San Ignacio to get a copy. It's now available on iTunes. (Just thought I'd throw that in here.)

I think you might be thinking of another resort - assuming Google Maps is correct:

Capture.JPG

Splash Divers. I was just diving with them during whale shark period in May! Twas grand!!

Contact Patti Ramirez and she will take great care of you.

I also loved Placencia village.

The e-mail address on their website isn't valid and the contact us form isn't working.

How are potential customers suppose to contact them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom