dive shop recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xrcjdx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
if this has been covered recently i didn't see it and sorry for the question but -

anyone been in the last couple months and have a dive shop recommendation in the recent time of covid? we are experienced divers if that affects your recommendation.

There are dozens of outstanding Ops on the island, and many of us have our favs. Where are you staying, and what do you want in an Op that might differ from others?

thank you don for following up. it's the fact that there are dozens of them that is intimidating. we will be staying in the city and looking for a reasonably priced competent shop with clean air. that is all. i trust the board and can/will do my own research if some members with personal knowledge point me in the right direction.

Many will tell you their fav is the best, usually with no particular reason. I like mine and his family, but I'm not a cheerleader here. This thread did a pretty good study and came up with a chart. Finding a (Best) Dive Op in Cozumel

Well, the last version is on page 6 so I'll add it here.

Attachments

• cozumel dive ops PDF.pdf
    507.4 KB · Views: 148
There are dozens of excellent shops on the island. The hard part is finding the best shop for you. We like Aldora for their larger tanks, longer dives, multiple 6 pack boats, valet service, , cash discount, but mostly for divemasters Jorge D., and Sharief. They pick us up at the Aldora pier across from Casa Mexicana, our favorite hotel. It just works best for us. They have some stay and dive packages going now that include free Nitrox as well.

That makes Aldora the best pick for us. Tres Pelicanos and Blue Magic have a loyal following and Dive with Martin has some of the best rates on the island if buying a multi day package. There is a new player in town called "Sharkys" that is affiliated with my local shop in OK. I'm sure their service is outstanding as well and have one of the most experienced divemaster in the island.

The biggest differences in the shops will be where they leave from, valet service or not, tank size, # of boats, surface interval location, price, and surface strategy (as a group when the first hits 500. Time limit, or as buddy's when first hits 500)

All shops are similar, but when you find the combination that works best for you, then You have found "your" shop. The good news is it will take multiple trips to Coz to get it figured out.

Safe travels,
Jay

I've never used them, but Aldora is the name I consistently hear about when someone wants something out of the ordinary. The ordinary being al80 or al100 with air/nitrox from merry-d. Also, that op apparently brings divers to the dark side of the island regularly.

I've never used Aldora because I stay at one of the large resorts and use the operator that is based out of the resort.

We used Tres Pelicanos in June/July, very satisfied, will likely repeat when we return in the future. They have 100s as well and will let you dive your tanks, air hogs float with the SMB while waiting for the ones with auxillary gills.

if this has been covered recently i didn't see it and sorry for the question but -

anyone been in the last couple months and have a dive shop recommendation in the recent time of covid? we are experienced divers if that affects your recommendation.
I have dove my last thousand dives with Tres Pelicanos, they cater to all types of divers but once they see you are experienced divers they don't herd you or make you surface as a group and allow you to dive your tank.
Dove Maricibo this morning and got 6 Lionfish, made cerviche on the surface interval

Bottomtimedivers.net is my favorite. 6 pack fast boat with shade, Al 80's standard but 100's upon request as is nitrox. Raul is owner/divemaster dive your computer and air no standard time limit, Raul finds the tiny things that many miss. Dive site decided on boat by consciences unless area is to crowded. For multi day diving Raul keeps your gear, rinses, dries, and sets up the next day. water fruit snacks at interval. picks up at hotels south of International pier so if your downtown either taxi or drive your own way to the marina.
With the small boat less chance of covid spread.

After that downtown pickup are just a few ops Aldora, Livingunderwater, and 1 or 2 others.
Three P's I believe give you a ride to marina I think they have 8-10 to a boat. then many fine ops like
Alison, Tony, Martin, and the list goes on. I've dove with all and they all on this list will treat you right.

we will be staying in the city and looking for a reasonably priced competent shop with clean air. that is all. i

That pretty much includes most to all of them. You can narrow your search a bit if you know whether you like a small fast boat or a slower larger one, if you want an op that handles all your equipment (which you pay for), and if you are content to dive on an AL80 tank (nearly all ops) or a larger steel tank (only a few ops, and again you'll pay for the difference). If you don't have preferences to those questions you can pretty much throw a dart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom