Dive Shop recommendation (for beginner) Anilao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a colleague who will be in the Philippines for work later this month. He is going to have a day or two in the Anilao region and wants to try scuba diving for the very first time. Since he is completely new to diving, and will be by himself, he won't know how to pick a well-run operation, and I don't know the area so have no specific recommendation for him.

I've looked a little online and found a couple that look pretty marginal to me: no shop certifications mentioned, no mention of staff qualifications or experience, etc. I've seen a couple that look really good on the face of it too, but the real question is: where is a really good place to go for a complete newbie so he has a really positive experience?

Any suggestions for a safe, reliable, professional shop for him to do a PADI Discover Scuba or equivalent would be appreciated.

Aquaventure and Buceo are probably the best.

The thing in Anilao (and most of the Philippines) is that the resorts usually don't have dive instructors or dive master on staff. They are all outsourced.

My suggestion is to have your friend ask colleagues and friends in Manila if they know a good instructor in Manila who would be willing to take him down. The instructor usually has relationships with the resorts.

Reactions: uw
I suggest you to contact Ronnie Corpuz ( Anilao diving : dive shop at anilao batangas philippines, dive course, dive package ) .
He is a very experienced dive instructor . He is in contact with many resort and has also a own new resort .
I always dive with him because he has also very good dive guide .
hope this help
Paolo Isgro

Reactions: uw
Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. Pengelam, I've passed on your insights - it's not the sort of thing my friend would have thought of doing when in Manila. I had passed along a suggestion my friend look at Anilao diving which looked ok from the web, so it's nice paolobl65 to have a specific recommendation. Thanks again. My friend travels next week and I'll ask him for a report when he's back.

Aquaventure and Buceo are probably the best.
The thing in Anilao (and most of the Philippines) is that the resorts usually don't have dive instructors or dive master on staff. They are all outsourced.

My suggestion is to have your friend ask colleagues and friends in Manila if they know a good instructor in Manila who would be willing to take him down. The instructor usually has relationships with the resorts.
1. Resorts, my own experiences over 20 yrs diving in the country, that don't have an in-house instructor is usually NOT a diving resort.
2. To bring an instructor from somewhere else only adding the cost and logistic issue. "Local" instructor is highly recommended.

I agree with Centrals, my experience is that proper dive resorts have their own in-house dive staff and booking a course shouldn't require finding an instructor yourself first...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom