dive shop loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If all you did was take the DM class at the dive shop, and there is no internship ongoing, then no, you do not have an obligation to be loyal to that shop. And as you continue on, if the standards of the training agency as well as your own are not being met, it is best to move along. However, as a professional in the dive industry, one might argue that you are duty bound to discuss these shortcomings with the shop and/or instructors in a professional manner. Perhaps there is something you do not understand or maybe you can help them improve.

Let's also clear up the notion that passing a DM curriculum somehow makes you a dive professional. You need 60 dives and a lot of money to become a DM. Many go through class-after-class-after-class with little to no real-world diving experience. Quite a few don't really even know why they became a DM ... they just got talked into it, or decided it was a good way to improve their diving skills. They're borderline competent divers ... at best ... with a shiny new card and not nearly enough experience to consider themselves "professional".

Perhaps this is part of the "shady" the OP is talking about ... in a "used car salesman" sort of context. I see way too much of that to feel comfortable assuming someone's a "professional" simply because they hold a DM card ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm pretty loyal to the shop where I got my certification, paying a bit extra for my regs/bcd and getting a year-long air card. They've always had amazing customer service, they're very nice/sociable people, and I go there all the time. Very high quality dive shop!

However, there's another shop where I sometimes drop in to dive with other buddies who were trained through that second shop. Because I'm there all the time, I purchased a few hundred dollars of dive products there, so I'm not just a freeloader.

Where my loyalty can wane, however, is if there's a huge difference (at least $500) between buying equipment between my LDS and somewhere else. I know some people from a certain shop who went to my main LDS for training because their LDS was going to charge them twice as much for the course. Also, numerous people have switched to my main LDS after receiving bad/slow customer service at their old LDS.

As long as my current shop maintains its level of service, knowledge, and safety, I will remain very loyal.

Loyalty isn't always about money ... sometimes it's about things like integrity and respect ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

....As long as my current shop maintains its level of service, knowledge, and safety, I will remain very loyal.
Integrity is at the top of my list along with your three things plus a competitive pricing program.

Cost, for some, will always trump everything else, including good service and integrity.

Maybe the "Bloom is off the Rose"
and you are being exposed to the business of diving, as opposed to the fun of diving.

Or maybe these people conduct themselves in a way that you do not wish to be associated with. Business or not.

You owe them nothing. But bringing their business to a public forum is sketchy at best.

You need to decide if you you need to cut the cord and take responsibility for the decision. You dont need a bunch of strangers making the decision for you.

thanks for the input this was great for me to hear.
let me shed some light on the word shady.
using their new DM's key man to stock the store.
disrespect to all the awesome lady divers (sexually ).
not finishing what they started ie classes that have been payed for.
I find things like that shady and have happened at my LDS.
now as for trying used as new my trust would be gone as well.
I understand trying to make money and all but if it's used it's used mark it down.
I never look for hand outs and I don't believe you should give something away.
so I hope that helped on a few things I think as shady.

.....disrespect to all the awesome lady divers.
That alone puts them on my list of places that I would not shop at or recommend to anyone.

As a new DM how loyal do I need to be to the dive shop I did my certification with?

I liked my instructors until i was done being a student and got to work a little closer and could see the shady crap that go's on.
I'm not saying all dive shops or instructors are like that but I don't want to be tied to a shop or individual like that.
If you feel that this is not the place to be associated with, good for you, leave it..I had a experience like this about 4 years ago. I worked out of a LDS for years and even managed it. I left after the owner brought in a instructor that I knew was incompetent and unsafe. I knew for a fact he was incompetent as I was a IDC staff instr at his IDC.Took this guy 3 attempts to pass his IE. I even advised him before he did any IDC"s that he was not ready. Well the owner of the LDS is a former cop and so is this guy.So it was a "cop thing" I guess..they never even worked together,even in different departments. Finally I left because the owner of the lds showed me no loyalty by bringing this knucklehead in so I left for a LDS local to him (competition ) that had a much bigger facility with its own pool. The competitor had been trying to get me to teach there for years and I told him that I had loyalty issues and could not.Well I finally got smart and being that no loyalty/integrity was shown to me why should I be loyal?? Now the larger facility is my base of instruction,pays me much better per class,pays me ON TIME with no BS, more classes and is closer to home than the other one.No more having to put class gear in my jeep and driving to a pool. Damned, I just walk in with a shoulder bag and teach in classroom and the pool is like 10 feet from classroom. Change is good :)

No taken side here, just want to give the shop the benefit of the doubt.

disrespect to all the awesome lady divers (sexually ).

This is an problem for the individual who disrepsect the ladies, may or may not related to the dive shop. If it is the dive shop owner, or if the owner enrouage this kind of behavior, then I would get the heck out of there as soon as I can. Now if it is not the owner and the owner doesn't know about it, I will probably tell the owner.

not finishing what they started ie classes that have been payed for.

Did the students of these classes complain about this? Is it possible that they have settle this in another way?

But if you don't feel comfortable working for this shop, switch!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom