Dive Rite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO the Zeagle isn't even close to being in the same league as a DR transpac. The versatility of the TP can't be beat. I use mine with a travel wing when travelling (duh) and a rec wing at other times. I have dove it with dbls numerous times and I have almost worn it out after about 10 years and a bunch of dives, almost, not quite yet, it' still has a few more dives in it..........

To my understanding the Tranpac doesnt have a plate it is the Transplate that does am i missing something ???? thanks :D

To my understanding the Tranpac doesnt have a plate it is the Transplate that does am i missing something ???? thanks :D
No, the Transpac doesn't accommodate a hard plate, however, with the doubles adapters, and the Rec, Trek, or larger wings, you can dive doubles.

I did a demo in a pool with one, and I loved it, but then tried the Transplate and liked that even more because of the stability...so I bought a Transplate... The Transpac is a great system though!

EDIT: In fact look a the picture on my AV...that's the demo I was speaking of! (but not sure if that's the pac or the plate?)
<--------------

I sold my transpac (and my wife's). We found them floppy and unstable compared to backplates. I am also not a fan of the weight pouches. Lead is life support equipment and I don't want it attached to me via velcro.

I have been dive a Transplate for 10 months with singles (80-130 HP) and a set of double (100 hp) and been very pleased. With the larger tanks and doubles I found it a little sloppy if I don't realyl tighten down the shoulder straps.

Until about a month ago I was gettings tired of the weights in weight pouches flopping around when using lighter tanks. So a few weeks ago I just strung the weights onto the waist belt. I don't have any ditchable weights now but I really like the way it dives more.

I sold my transpac (and my wife's). We found them floppy and unstable compared to backplates. I am also not a fan of the weight pouches. Lead is life support equipment and I don't want it attached to me via velcro.
The 16 and 32lb. capacity pouches thread onto the waist strap via a sewn loop.
There's a cheaper 4lb. that uses velcro (and I wouldn't recommend that either).

OK are we saying the transplate is the better way to go ? and that the 16 pnd weight pouch is what you would use for your weights

OK are we saying the transplate is the better way to go ? and that the 16 pnd weight pouch is what you would use for your weights

It depends on what you're trying to do.

Are you looking to seriously get into tech diving, or do you just like a modular "bc"?

A bit of both i would really like to do some wreck diving which would mean some doubles diving but i travel once every 8 weeks to FL so it would be coming with me on single tank dives in i would say a 80/20 split mostly singles but you never know i have only been diving a year so maybee i get into more tek stuff

For the cold water stuff, you'll love the extra weight in the backplate. And for doubles, backplate is definitely the way to go... not much question there. In Florida, with a steel plate, you may not even need any extra weight.

The main question, IMO, is whether you need the TransPlate harness, or just a simple hogarthian harness. Much cheaper, and I'd say a majority of backplate divers find it better than the complex harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom