Dive Rite XT vs Hog d3 zenith... Cold water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there are some differences in the barrel IIRC but the case itself is the same.

regarding lock-tite remember that the sherwood manifolds called for it too. I wouldn't worry about using it personally

we (Deep 6) are doing a demo day next weekend in Brockville Ontario, drop by if you are in the area and look at our new regs

PMD... I guess now I should be asking Deep 6 VS HOG VS Diverite

my poseidons have a separate ring that holds the DIN o-ring in so it can't come out :p

@cliffoco are you saying you already have regs but you want to buy new ones because they need to be serviced? Saying Divers Supply I assume you are talking about HOG's, so which ones do you have now?

Yes.... My regs now are Sea Elite - which my LDS won't touch so would have to go back to Divers supply and the cost of service + shipping would be about what I bought the reg for

regarding lock-tite remember that the sherwood manifolds called for it too. I wouldn't worry about using it personally

So you think it is ok to use? lock-tite on a HOG 1st stage? (as in the Dive Rite manual)?

Not that I don't think the problem is avoidable, but this issue seems to pop up enough that HOG put out a youtube vid on it. So, if a small dab of LT would help... why not?

I personally wouldn't worry about it, others may, but I think the real solution is not to turn the first stage when under pressure. The other would be to evaluate the durometer of that o-ring and change it so it puts more pressure on the threads to keep it in one place.

So the Dive Rite is 499 (+ tax) (CAD) and the HOG is 405 + Tax (CAD) I didn't want the 100$ to really effect the choice. I am looking for a reg that will be reliable, right now I have a set of sealed cheapy regs from Sea Elite and to be honest I have not gotten a free flow once, they breath easy and have lasted me over 6.5 years (and still work fine) It is just I am getting to the point where I am starting to get a little leery of the equipment at depth where its colder. A lot of the current dives are warm water (st. lawrence river ) and I feel confident with these regs under those conditions.
For me I am buying new ones for reliability in cold water. I would be getting both sealed, I am just wondering if its worth the extra 100 or would it better spent somewhere else. I have heard ONLY good things about HOG until I called the guy who sells them :S

if you have the sea elite rx650 already, you aren't going to see a dramatic difference in performance. only reason to get more regs would be to go for doubles.

if you have the sea elite rx650 already, you aren't going to see a dramatic difference in performance. only reason to get more regs would be to go for doubles.

Although an increase in reg quality is a nice bonus - the biggest reason for new regs is I cant get a service kit and this reg has over 6 years of dives on it un serviced (although I did re lubricate the second stage and inspect it) I could get it serviced for 100 or so dollars but I am sure the Deep 6 or Hogs would be better and at least I could get service kits going forward and it comes with some peace of mind knowing that so many other divers use them.

Although an increase in reg quality is a nice bonus - the biggest reason for new regs is I cant get a service kit and this reg has over 6 years of dives on it un serviced (although I did re lubricate the second stage and inspect it) I could get it serviced for 100 or so dollars but I am sure the Deep 6 or Hogs would be better and at least I could get service kits going forward and it comes with some peace of mind knowing that so many other divers use them.

there is a good chance the hog kit or the old dive rite rg1200 kit would fit your sea elite. iirc the sea elites are rebadged ods regs.

bull... HOG regs have been extensively used in cold water diving. Plus, having put the HOG regs and the XT on a antsi the claim the XT breaths better is not what I have seen... the new Deep 6 breaths better than both however. (that said the XT and the HOG are strong performers)

No bias of course...just playing...

No bias of course...just playing...
oh sure I have bias, don't try to hide it but if I wasn't sure, i wouldn't say a thing.. the facts are that it's easy to test the truth of it

Back
Top Bottom