dive rite travel wings vs. halcyon 18#

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the Dive Rite has a bungie cord, then the decision is easy -- get the Halcyon. The bungie is a gimmick. Halcyon's superior quality and design is worth every cent. Their gear actually looks like someone put some thought into it rather than load it up with unnecessary gimmicks and gizmos :D.

:)

Mike

I see. Does Dive Rite still use that pull dump/inflator hose gizmo? I had that integrated pull dump thing on my Rec Wings once upon a time. I don't think it a particularly good idea to be pulling on your corregated hose, but it's innovative, I guess :rolleyes:.

:)

Mike

I don't know if they still have the pull dump. They used to.

Must have a lot of free time on my hands...I found pix of old halcyon wings at 5th dimension. I scaled up the pic of the 27 until the halcyon label was about the same size as the label on the 18, and put them together.

Picture at:

http://homepage.mac.com/rogerc/halcyonwings.jpg

The BP grommets don't exactly line up. The 27 has 6 grommets, lets number them 1-6, top to bottom. The 18's grommets line up well with grommet numbers 1,2,4,5. This is kinda hard to see in the pic, but it was pretty clear sliding things around in photoshop. I still think I got the size right, though.

Looks like the 18 has a bit more horsecollar shape to it, but the 27 shouldn't add much drag, what it adds is already in the shadow of the wing. And it has the circular bag.

Okay.....so, I had a good time at the LDS yesterday pulling things off the wall to measure.

The 18lb wing is 24" long and 19 1/4" wide
The 27lb wing is 27 1/4" long and 19 1/4" wide

The great thing, is that the are the same width, making them equally trim. The additional length comes fm the fact that the 27lb is a complete donut (or oblong) shape, but will still fall into your already created slipstream.

I've dove the 27lb wing w/ an AL80 and a drysuit (+ buoyant undergarments) last summer and it was perfect.

I believe they are the same price as well!

Hope this helped :D

Chris

Originally posted by chrisnycdive
Okay.....so, I had a good time at the LDS yesterday pulling things off the wall to measure.
I'm green with envy. Oh to have a shop around here that actually carried Halcyon stuff, much less had it in stock!

Roak

Originally posted by roakey

I'm green with envy. Oh to have a shop around here that actually carried Halcyon stuff, much less had it in stock!

Roak

Okay....maybe I will :mean: .....we've got TWO shops! One in Manhattan and one in Brooklyn.

(Ducking as you start throwing things.......)

Glsd I could be helpful.....

I agree with you, the 27lb wing is very versatile. Enough lift to use w/ a drysuit or steel tank or...... carrying tons of camera equipment.....or a 20lb lobster...:eek:ut:

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom