Dive Rite Transpac VS Metal Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right now I dive a transpac, and replaced the stabalizer plates with my SS backplate - V weight between the tanks, and rec wing... love it!

Just compare pics below and think again about that "Many choose to start with a more complex (and expensive) harness. Over time most will either remove a good portion of the "extras" or will refit their plate with a "Hog" harness. Very few start with a Hog harness, and move to a more complex harness, that alone should be telling."

frontir4u.jpg
transpac001.jpg
pict6530.jpg

Not sure what these pics are meant to be showing. The left rig looks very uncluttered, but then it doesn't actually have any regs attached, does it? Nor tank or manifold. And the attachments from wing to harness are concealed behind the backplate. And no weight pouches. Of course it looks neat. So what?

Not sure what these pics are meant to be showing. The left rig looks very uncluttered, but then it doesn't actually have any regs attached, does it? Nor tank or manifold.

Ah, humm, the single rig in the left picture is most certainly attached to a cylinder. Without a cylinder one cannot retain the wing in the inflated condition. Look under the bottom of the wing, see the tank boot?

And the attachments from wing to harness are concealed behind the backplate. And no weight pouches. Of course it looks neat. So what?

The reason **why** you can't see the "attachments from the wing to the harness" on either of the BP&W's pictured is there aren't any. Wings don't attach to the harness.......

Have you actually used a BP&W?

I ask because you have repeatedly made statements that expose a profound misunderstanding of BP&Ws

Such as:

The very rigidity that people cite as the reason for using the backplate is the thing I don't like about it - feels a bit like a straitjacket.

& my personal favorite:

I had one bladder fully inflated and the other one half inflated before I finally stopped, just short of 80mtr.

Redundant bladder wings contain two separate bladders, EACH of which is capable of full filling the wing shell. It's simply not possible to completely fill one bladder AND 1/2 fill the other.

Misinformation is really no help to anyone.

Tobin

Left rig has no any regs, but the rig to which it should be compared (pic in the middle) has no regs either, moreover right pic with fully riged doubles looks more neatly than middle rig.

Left rig is attached to the tank (you could notice tank boot from the left side of the crotch strap). No any concealed behind the backplate attachments, just 2 cam straps. This is my personal single tank rig and with SS backplate and steel tank (with a dry suit) I need only 4 lbs of lead in fresh water. So I use 1 small pouch on the cam strap.

Feel free to make any conclusions.

The reason **why** you can't see the "attachments from the wing to the harness" on either of the BP&W's pictured is there aren't any. Wings don't attach to the harness.......
Slip of the "tongue". Besides, I wasn't criticizing it because I couldn't see any attachments, merely remarking that one reason it looked neat it that attachments were hidden in the picture. I do know there are no direct attachments from wing to harness, yes, but indirectly they must exist.

I had thought better of you as a manufacturer not to resort to silly allegations. Just because I appear not to agree with your point of view about backplates please do not trash my views or try to belittle them or me. I very much doubt if I have made as many dives with a backplate as you have - at least, given how you set yourself out I would hope that's the case - but I have still done several hundred, perhaps 1000. And I've sold them for years. Not your particular brand, of course.

Slip of the "tongue". Besides, I wasn't criticizing it because I couldn't see any attachments, merely remarking that one reason it looked neat it that attachments were hidden in the picture. I do know there are no direct attachments from wing to harness, yes, but indirectly they must exist.

I had thought better of you as a manufacturer not to resort to silly allegations. Just because I appear not to agree with your point of view about backplates please do not trash my views or try to belittle them or me. I very much doubt if I have made as many dives with a backplate as you have - at least, given how you set yourself out I would hope that's the case - but I have still done several hundred, perhaps 1000. And I've sold them for years. Not your particular brand, of course.

I have never promoted "all back plates all the time" and if you prefer a soft harness I have no objection, and have stated no objection to such.

OTOH you have consistently made statements that do display a fundamental lack of understanding about "how" a BP&W is assembled, fits, and functions.

To be offering advise on BP&W's or their alternatives when you apparently unfamilar with the specific details is not a service to the readership here.

Tobin

Whatever. Enough has been said for people to form their own views.

Another word, about the Company. I've used DiveRite gear for years and have been selling it for the last few. I also sell gear from other companies, but DiveRite is the most "stand up" manufacturer I know. They're good to deal with up-front, and I know that they will be more than fair whenever there's a problem. Would that that were true of their competitors!

This too has always been my experience with DR highly recommended. For the record I use a backplate and like it, but haven't used a Transpac so cant comment. Cheers.

Just compare pics below and think again about that "Many choose to start with a more complex (and expensive) harness. Over time most will either remove a good portion of the "extras" or will refit their plate with a "Hog" harness. Very few start with a Hog harness, and move to a more complex harness, that alone should be telling."
Hog harnesses are great unless you have a few fragmentation grenade shrapnels in your right shoulder which precludes its movement in a certain manners.:wink:

And my rig has two pouches as integrated weights while the left rig has no weight pouches so that must mean a weight belt.

Two weight pouches or a weight belt? Take your pick, but once you don your weight belt to go with your HOG rig, there will be more clutter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom