Dive Rite Torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looks like a arguement....
This will be my fisrt purchase of a main torch and can not afford the best system out there.All the other torches in that price range seems so bulky so it looked liked a good bargin to me being an umbillical torch which is rechargable.As i am not into the photography side yet so the colour temp of the light has little worries for me, the simplicity of use, realiability ,depth rating,non-leaking and value for money are of more importance .I know Dive Rite is an american company and i thought there gear was reliable and made to a high spec and to this i hoped some of you on the other side of the pond might have had some experience of this particular equipment .Thanks all for your time and input,

Regards,

MAL...

JamesK once bubbled...
That was funny!

I would say HID is better for a couple of reasons. One it looks MUCH better for video and pictures. Two, it is more efficient. The burn time with a 50W halogen is about half of what you can get with a 10W HID on the same battery, for the same amount of light.

Perfect answer James!!!!!

Yes it looks better than Halogen (lots), yes its more efficient, yes its smaller (well HID isnt, but the required battery pack is)

But does that make Halogen useless? No, it just makes it a second choise, and sometimes a more economical choise.

This thread can now move onto the importance of buddy skills with lighting and how Halogen cant be used during the day for communications, where HID can etc etc etc......(yawn) :D

Dave

MrMojo once bubbled...
looks like a arguement....
This will be my fisrt purchase of a main torch and can not afford the best system out there.All the other torches in that price range seems so bulky so it looked liked a good bargin to me being an umbillical torch which is rechargable.As i am not into the photography side yet so the colour temp of the light has little worries for me, the simplicity of use, realiability ,depth rating,non-leaking and value for money are of more importance .I know Dive Rite is an american company and i thought there gear was reliable and made to a high spec and to this i hoped some of you on the other side of the pond might have had some experience of this particular equipment .Thanks all for your time and input,

Regards,

MAL...

MAL,
At $230.00 it is not a bargain, but its not a rip off either.
The wreck light is a good light, its almost the same as what I have. The differance between Dive rite and Halcyon in this range is negligable (I think anyway)
With HID becoming the popular choise, there are alot of good halogen lights out there.
If your not cavediving/deep wreck/video or DIR diving, then the Halogen will suffice, spend your hard earned money on things that will be more benificial.
If you have alot of cash to spend, go HID, it IS better.

A 35-50 Watt Halogen will throw alot of light. I used mine for years, diving for prawns (shrimp) in the river at night, In all those years I never had lighting problems. I have since used HID for the same drill, and said WOW, it all looks so much better, and it lasts for DAYS!!!. But at the end of the day, I was still happy with the Halogen.

FLAME AWAY!!!!

Dave

Thanks Aquamaniac for your honest answer.Dive rite is alot more expensive in UK than USA ,a transpac and wings can set you back nearly $800.I even tried to order from USA but no one would reply to my emails.So i rented out the wife and sold the kids!!.All sorted now..!But can't afford the HID.

THanks again,

Regards,

MAL..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom