Dive Rite (Hand-held) 10W HID Light Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Chanster

Registered
Reaction score
Working in China, hanging Cobwebs in Colorado
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently purchased a Dive Rite (Hand-held) 10W HID Light and had trouble getting it to burn from the get go. Once on was fine. I'm surprised how poor the on/off mechanism is. You need to twist the light head to activate on/off.

Anyone else have anything good or bad to say about this light?

I need to tell the shop if I want a credit or new one. I'm thinking I need to spend more and get a Halcyon or Sartek.

Thanks,
A Chanster

Attachments

• diverite10wattbackup.jpg
    diverite10wattbackup.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 90
A Chanster:
Recently purchased a Dive Rite (Hand-held) 10W HID Light and had trouble getting it to burn from the get go. Once on was fine. I'm surprised how poor the on/off mechanism is. You need to twist the light head to activate on/off.

I need to tell the shop if I want a credit or new one. I'm thinking I need to spend more and get a Halcyon or Sartek.

Thanks,
A Chanster

Mine has worked great not one problem you just need to make sure the batteries are in right.

jtivat
Thanks for the response. After reading your review on backup lights you certainly have credibility behind what you say.

The battery pack that slides in/out of the light shaft needs to come in proper contact with the +/-terminal plate on the bottom of the light head, this I know. I am wondering if your terminal plate spins around or not. I made sure that the contacts were in the right position, but when twisting the shaft/head together the terminal plate also spun and you could see the bulb spinning. Is this normal or do I have a rare defective productive from a company which I DO regard as having quality products?
Thanks,
A Chanster

A Chanster:
jtivat
Thanks for the response. After reading your review on backup lights you certainly have credibility behind what you say.

The battery pack that slides in/out of the light shaft needs to come in proper contact with the +/-terminal plate on the bottom of the light head, this I know. I am wondering if your terminal plate spins around or not. I made sure that the contacts were in the right position, but when twisting the shaft/head together the terminal plate also spun and you could see the bulb spinning. Is this normal or do I have a rare defective productive from a company which I DO regard as having quality products?
Thanks,
A Chanster

Yes the bulb spins and it really needs too. If you pull the part out of the light head with the two contact screws you will see it is attached to the ballast and bulb by two wires. So if it did not spin the wires would twist and break. I put the battery case on the head upside down and make sure all is lines up with the contacts and then I screw the body on with the light still up side down. If this does not work I would say there is a problem with your light and give DR a call they are very good with there CS.

Good luck

JT

jtivat:
Yes the bulb spins and it really needs too. If you pull the part out of the light head with the two contact screws you will see it is attached to the ballast and bulb by two wires. So if it did not spin the wires would twist and break. I put the battery case on the head upside down and make sure all is lines up with the contacts and then I screw the body on with the light still up side down. If this does not work I would say there is a problem with your light and give DR a call they are very good with there CS.

Good luck

JT

Thanks JT,
Yup mine had this issue of the wires twisting and broke even though I installed the batteries the same as you mentioned. The Shop is handling for me without issue. I like the Dive Rite product and will give the replacement a chance. I will certainly have at least 2 other lights when making dives where lights are relied upon.
Best Regards,
A Chanster

I took mine on a liveaboard and it failed on every single dive I took it on. I was kicking myself for not bringing the H can light....

lundysd:
I took mine on a liveaboard and it failed on every single dive I took it on. I was kicking myself for not bringing the H can light....

Sorry to hear that Lundysd.
Can you explain the nature of the failure? For example never turned on or maybe turned off during the dive...flooded etc..
thanks
A Chanster

Well its been a while since the first post but...
I got a replacement and found that the light I first received was defective. The head was spinning around which should not happen. I got a replacement and it has worked fine for the 40 or so dives its been on since. Thanks scuba toys for sending the free replacement and also taking care of the international Fed-X bill.

cheers

Is this the light that has the option to make it a canister? I was wondering whether if you buy it with the canister option you can easily convert it back and forth to handheld?

A Chanster

Alas, I am not suprised. I owned 2 Dive Rite lights and have been disapointed in both. Long story but One of them failed, and after shipping it back and forth three times, it still didn't work. I ended up tossing it. On the other, the bulb died less then nine months after buying it.

I own lots of Dive Rite stuff but IMHO, stick to their non-electronic products. I'll buy my next set of wings from them, but never again a light or computer.

Happy Diving

Back
Top Bottom