Dive rite, Halcyon or Hollis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im looking for info on Dive Rite transpac harness or Halcyon Eclipse setup, this is for streamlining for spearfishing while scuba diving and later for tech diving.

You can't really compare these at all...

... the transpac is a soft harnes, the Halcyon is a hard plate.

If you're ultimate goal is "tech" diving, my suggestion would be to not consider a soft harness. I find they lack the stability of a plate.

You'd be better off comparing the transplate and the Halcyon.

The Halcyon wins that hands down. The wings are better quality (DR still use a PU inner, I think?) and the harness is way more streamlined than the transplate. You can always add a right hip d-ring to the Halcyon if you want to.

Plates look uncomfortable, but aren't. If it is a concern, look at the Halcyon Infinity system.

As well as Halcyon, I'd look at DSS and Oxycheq as well.

Halcyon!!!! Great product and better made than the rest IMO .The only problem I have are the price on their wings. They are way more expensive that other wing makes. I own a Infinity and will add a Oxychq or Frog wing for doubles later.

Other make you can add to the list are Frog FROG DIVE GEAR. They also have a good system.

If H is better then why would you not buy the H wing.....:confused:

Take a wing away from a BP/W and all you have is a SS or AL plate and some webbing and bits of metal (buckle, D-rings and slides)......

A wing must be air tight has rubber bits, and all the valves......all the moving parts that can fail.........:shakehead:

I would say that the wing is the critical item on a BP/W rig.......

That being said, I agree that H is to expensive......I dive an Oxycheq 18 lb wing I bought new and a H 36 lb Pioneer wing that I bought used......:wink:

M

Halcyon!!!! Great product and better made than the rest IMO .The only problem I have are the price on their wings. They are way more expensive that other wing makes. I own a Infinity and will add a Oxychq or Frog wing for doubles later.

Other make you can add to the list are Frog FROG DIVE GEAR. They also have a good system.

FROG copies Halcyon's designs (not the idea, but the entire thing) on some items. They are based in South Africa, so as far as I know, H can't really do anything about it. I would NOT support a company that does things like that. Halcyon has put a lot towards their own R&D, and designs, builds and tests nearly everything in house.

Take a look at the Midnight and Indigo wings. Look familiar?

Yes, Frog have copied some parts of the Halcyon, if not all. I think this is why H have patented the Cinch, to try and protect some of its R&D efforts. To give you an idea of price, a 40lb Evolve wing (wing only) is around $600!!!! I have looked at importing (online) equipment from the UK and US. Shipping charges range from 100 pounds to $500. A lot of guys also don’t want to ship to SA due to the poor postal services and theft.

Ok- I'm gonna say it and get flamed to death....

I spent many years diving with the best spearfishing guys in SW Florida. NONE of them used any of the gear in this thread. Rest assured all of them can dive whatever gear they want.

Maybe some advice from people who have spent 20+ years spearfishing Florida is in order?

Maybe a 20+ year Florida spearfisherman has NO idea what HOGARTHIAN dive gear is and it'd be completely irrevelant to this topic?

A spearfisherman's goal is completely different from the goals of 99% of the people who'd use a hog setup. What they use works for them, it wouldn't work for someone looking for the benefits they'd get from a hog rig.

We are dealers for DiveRite & Halcyon and as we know there is a difference in price. I have had divers switch out wings while test diving and the result has always been Halcyon over the DiveRite. With the Halcyon, you are getting a complete System (BP, Wing, Cam Straps, STA, and Storage Pak). If you were to add those other components to a DR, it's pretty close.

As far as Hollis, there is not too many original designs there. The line is a cross between DR and Halcyon.

Maybe a 20+ year Florida spearfisherman has NO idea what HOGARTHIAN dive gear is and it'd be completely irrevelant to this topic?

A spearfisherman's goal is completely different from the goals of 99% of the people who'd use a hog setup. What they use works for them, it wouldn't work for someone looking for the benefits they'd get from a hog rig.

C'mon. Rest assured they all know what Hog gear is, and the OP asked about spearfishing. How are my comments irrelevant? By the way, I agree with you 1000%. Spearfishing and tech diving are two very different animals. My experience (and I stress MY experience) is that hardcore spearfishing and hardcore tech diving just don't really mesh.

Its not relevant because we're not gonna talk about non-hog gear here :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom