Dive Rite EX35 - Awesome?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWLD warrants their lights for 3 years and their battery packs for 1 year. That sounds like a manufacturer who has a lot more confidence in their products. 3 years seems like a much more reasonable expectation to have for an LED light that costs as much as these lights do.

Decisions on warranty coverage are complex and I doubt you could draw any air tight correlation between warranty and manufacturing confidence. I think both DR and UWLD have proven to make excellent products, and have gone out off their way to support their products. I know of many cases where the folks at Dive Rite have fixed customer issues that were clearly not manufacturing defects.

Umm. That first chart is very blurry,and it looks like the x axis scale is set to exaggerate the visual swing of the voltage drop compared to the other graph.

@tbone1004 , I seriously doubt they would intentionally overdrive the chip past a safe level, but I will ask Jefferson, or Daniel next time I see them. ...just out of curiosity

who said overdriving past a safe level? It's way unsafe to use on land but that's why the fins are in there. Either way they are open about seriously overdriving that chip. The LED has a standard rating of 1483 lumen, 13w, @11.3v. To overdrive it, you give it more voltage and that means they are likely using those 4s packs at 100% which makes sense given that curve. The voltage sag is what is to be expected from lithium ions and the x-axis isn't exaggerated since it is showing the full burn time of the light.

Hi guys, my first post here ... Sorry to resurrect this topic.

I need to buy a new light, and the Ex35 is available here in the country of bananas, in these restricted times...

I have read everything that has been said about it and share the same concern about a flat output, for a reasonable period of time, at least
So, what I'm wondering is: how long can this thing sustain a flat output, say, in the second mode (2150 lumens) has anyone tried this?
This output should be enough for me, as our local quarry does not have the best crystal waters ... and a 4k lumens may gets a lot of backscattering.

I used a Halcyon EOS 12w Led for a long time and, unfortunately, I replaced it with an OrcaTorch D630, attending a friend who became a representative of the brand.

In fact, the orcacrap no longer worked after 32 dives, all with fresh water and 50m deep. Now it is completely useless ... and yes, I know it is relatively cheap, there is not much to expect, but 32 dives are a pain in the butt.

Anyway, I am in the water at least 3 to 4 times a week, with students mainly, and I need a new light immediately. If anyone has an idea of how long the Ex35 can burn those 2150 lumens steadily, I would appreciate it very much.

Tks!!

The Dive Rite spec shows 7hrs at 2150.. I have never pushed mine that long before, but I am pretty sure there are some around here that have.

The Dive Rite spec shows 7hrs at 2150.. I have never pushed mine that long before, but I am pretty sure there are some around here that have.

Yes, I found this info, but they also say that it burns 6 hours at the top, which is not quite true because it is not a flat output as already said ... if it holds 2150L flat, for about 5 hours it is already good for me.

tks!!

I emailed back and forth with Dive Rite about these specs a while back.

Based on what I remember of that conversation, I SUSPECT (just call it speculation) that it would go about 2 hours at 2150 before starting to taper down. And it would taper down more slowly than if it started at full power. So, I suspect you'd get somewhere around 2000 lumens or more for probably 3 hours. Maybe more.

However, the simple answer is to email Dive Rite and ask. They are pretty responsive and seem pretty forthcoming with detailed specs when asked.

@Paulo Souza if you are concerned about output, consider the Underwater Light Dude Gen 6. @Bobby ships internationally and you can purchase directly from him.

yeah, I am considering, but international shipping does not help here... only if some friend brings it to me...
otherwise, the customs will apply about 80% rate above the budget.. (no way). The Ex35 is already here, for the regular price, just currency conversion. tks

I emailed back and forth with Dive Rite about these specs a while back.

Based on what I remember of that conversation, I SUSPECT (just call it speculation) that it would go about 2 hours at 2150 before starting to taper down. And it would taper down more slowly than if it started at full power. So, I suspect you'd get somewhere around 2000 lumens or more for probably 3 hours. Maybe more.

However, the simple answer is to email Dive Rite and ask. They are pretty responsive and seem pretty forthcoming with detailed specs when asked.

tks stuartv, I believe this is the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom