Dive Rite Air Cell problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bazzurco

Registered
Reaction score
Help! I have been an active diver for 12 plus years with at least 400 dives mostly in Monterey and Channel Island area. I have a trip planed to Palau on the Aggressor. I have been buying some new gear for my trip mostly trinkets, my one large purchase, was a new BC which is a Dive Rite TranspacII with Rec Wings purchased from my LDS. I knew it would take some getting use to since I have been in my Dacor jacket style BC for 12 years (a little shredded here and there but still functions well) the problem I am having is when I ascend from a dive. I will use my BC like an elevator. I put a little air in it and bleed it off as I ascend. The problem is the bladder does not empty all the way, there for I am close to an uncontrolled ascent coming up faster than I should, not a comfortable feeling because I am not in control. I have had this problem emptying the bladder even on the bottom at 60 feet or so. Yes, I have tested the dump topside and it functions flawlessly time after time I am stumped. I spoke to my LDS about this problem and the answer was ?Your BC is not an elevator?. They offered to let me play in the 14? pool to see if I can figure it out. I believe some how the air is being trapped in the bladder and will not escape. Has anyone had this experience with the Transpac setup? If so do you have a fix? I have juggled my weight belt from 26lb to 28lb then 30lb. 27 lb seems to be the magic number. I have about 8 dives on this BC. On the last two dives there has been no improvement on my buoyancy. I dive for recreation and game with one tank. (Steel hp 3500) I have no interest in Tech diving at this time. :confused:

I dive a Transpac II with Rec Wings. I have no problems with the wings. You may need to make sure that your left shoulder is the highest point when you dump air. Also I do not add air to begin my ascent. I dump air as I fin to begin my ascent.

Definately practice shallow.

I hope it comes to you. It really is a nice rig. :thumb:

Palau Aggressor sounds like a great trip! Enjoy!

PS. we'll be expecting a trip report. :wink:

can put you into a horizontal position or head slightly down, which may not be the one you are used to. Try dumping from the bottom to see if it is higher than your shoulders. I had a similer experience with my IQ, until I got into the bottom dump. Hope this helps!!

Originally posted by bazzurco
the problem I am having is when I ascend from a dive. I will use my BC like an elevator. I put a little air in it and bleed it off as I ascend.

The problem could start with your method of ascent. Why would you add air if you are already neutral, just swim up. Adding air to ascend is suicidal.

ID

I'm pretty new to the TPII myself but:

I would say get some time in the pool and try to find someone that owns one to help you. I was lucky that the "wrench" at my LDS dives the TPII w/ REC wing... he dialed it in for me and gave me some pointers.

Number one thing he said is pretty much what NETDOC said about being "feet up"

he also noted that when the TP is NEW it is really stiff (which I'm sure you noticed) he told me to do basically a "crunch" (you know like a sit-up) just hunch your back to help squeeze out any trapped air.

I assume because it's an internal bladder and the outer bag is pretty stiff... even with the elastic bands...

I know your pain though, I had an unexpected "quick" ascent this week myself.

I can't give you any advise if you have your wings in bungees.

Are you ascending in a horizontal or vertical position? If you are horizontal use your rear dump, rasing your butt slightly also helps the air escape from the rear dump.

I do agree that adding air while ascending is a BIG NO NO. You should be dumping air on the ascent and fin to the surface or your safety stop.

As for the Dive rite air cell I use several of their wings and have no problems with getting all the air out. Just make sure that you are in a true head up/ butt down position and full extend your left arm to straighten out the hose so that no air gets trapped.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Originally posted by Wendy
use your rear dump, rasing your butt slightly also helps the air escape from the rear dump. [/B]

Geezz that happens to me when I eat buritos!
:D
Sorry I couldnt resist!

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom