Dive Resort Closest to Manila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone know how Puerto Galera held up after the last few storms? Is it still open for business?

no damage in Puerto Galera to speak of except geting to and from maybe a little risky if sea conditions are rough. roro of Montenegro may start serving PG again by next month

no damage in Puerto Galera to speak of except geting to and from maybe a little risky if sea conditions are rough. roro of Montenegro may start serving PG again by next month

Next month? Are you saying that there is currently no PG ferry service from the mainland? I am due to fly in to Manila on 24th Oct and head to PG hence the concern/curiousity... :wink:

There are ferry services from Batangas to PG. I dove yesterday in Planet Dive (Anilao) and everything seemed ok except that the electricity is down. Dived at Saddle East, Kirby's, and Twin Rocks. Viz was pretty ok once you past 14 meters.

Just wondering how Manila has been affected by the recent Typhoons. It looks pretty bad on the news. Everything still functioning for tourists or is the city still in disarray? Might affect this person's trip..

everything is going back to normal. the areas hards hit are suburbs east of manila. there shouldn't be any problem for diver's going to batangas or puerto galera (except for the rough seas kwhkg has mentioned)

:)

There are ferry services from Batangas to PG. I dove yesterday in Planet Dive (Anilao) and everything seemed ok except that the electricity is down. Dived at Saddle East, Kirby's, and Twin Rocks. Viz was pretty ok once you past 14 meters.

everything is going back to normal. the areas hards hit are suburbs east of manila. there shouldn't be any problem for diver's going to batangas or puerto galera (except for the rough seas kwhkg has mentioned)

:)

Right that's good to know. Thanks for the info guys... I'll be sure to write up my trip report upon my return. :)

have confirmed that Montenegro Shipping Lines will resume their roro service from batangas to Puerta Galera (Baltero pier) by end of this month. Divers should be aware that the other alternatives to PG are wooden "bancas" , (with a sorted history of accidents )that go direct to either Sabang or White Beach both of which are considered "Puerta Galera. whether some operator will put their fast crafts to Baletro remains to be seen as historically fast craft operators have been forced out of the market by banca operators (thats another story not part of this forum)

just a word of caution that divers going to PG should be very safety conscious of whatever vessel they will choose

have confirmed that Montenegro Shipping Lines will resume their roro service from batangas to Puerta Galera (Baltero pier) by end of this month. Divers should be aware that the other alternatives to PG are wooden "bancas" , (with a sorted history of accidents )that go direct to either Sabang or White Beach both of which are considered "Puerta Galera. whether some operator will put their fast crafts to Baletro remains to be seen as historically fast craft operators have been forced out of the market by banca operators (thats another story not part of this forum)

just a word of caution that divers going to PG should be very safety conscious of whatever vessel they will choose

Thanks kwhkg for this word of caution. It is advice that others should take seriously. After nearly being lost out to sea on Palawan last year in a banca I can vouch that this is a word of warning no one should ignore. Crossed from Coron to El Nido in Sep '08 and far out to sea a serious storm whipped up. No radio in the boat, no manifest, no one knew we were out there and no safety equipement was on board. Vis was down to 10m. Water was coming in and if the waves had got any bigger we would have gone down. Add to that the 2/3 knot tidal stream and there would be no way I could have swam to shore either. Not a fun day...

How long does the crossing from Batangas to PG usually take anyway?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom