Dive report, shaws cove, laguna beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacificgal

Rest in Peace...
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got to do my first southern cal dive today! I met up with another utd essentials trained buddy, Shawn. He let me borrow a can light, so that was another first for me. We had a great dive at shaws cove, a twilight dive. Upon descent, we found a small sea bass, probably 2.5 feet. Then came the garibaldis and senoritas and other small fish I can identify, there were hundreds of purple sea urchins everywhere, terrain was around a small reef in about 40 feet (depth). Shawnfound a Hopkins rose, I found a sea hare. My mask was leaking so bad and for some reason my nose was all congested. You cannot effectively keep a leaking mask clear if you can't blow thru your nose! Temp was 60 degrees by my computer, we did 45 minutes and I surfaced with 1100 psi. The leaking mask was intolerable! My eyes are so swollen now as a result, I'm taking a shower and going to bed, but what a great dive! Many thanks to my dive buddy for taking me out for such a good time!

Glad you had a good time. Monterey and SoCal are sufficiently different that it's a great new experience to move from one to the other.

Ah, you make me miss So Ca diving. Sounds like fun! Thanks for the report ;-). I'm curious, how did you like diving with a light can?

Diving with a can light was different, I enjoyed the brightness of 20 watt hid (Shawn gave me the better light) but I had to switch hands occasionally because it takes some muscle to keep it out in front, out of my buddies and the fishes eyes. I did ok though, thanks to watching enough of my friends using them. He invited me to vets with another female diver tonight, I may go, I don't have anywhere to rinse my gear here though

I'm so glad you had fun! I hadn't planned to dive last night, but ended up diving Vet's (Laguna is too far for me during the week)....wish I had known you and Shawn were diving so I could have invited you to dive Vet's last night :D

I remember my first dive with a can light....it was incredibly task-loading (granted, I was very inexperienced, ~20 dives). I even had to clip it off for a while because I just couldn't handle it. Trust me, it gets better....and then it gets to the point where you can't imagine diving without it. Sounds like Shawn is handing out crack addictions :rofl3:

Yeah, I also remember my first dive with a light can, as with any new piece of equipment, it did feel quite awkward. But now it's so important for communication, I just can't imagine diving without it.

Honestly, I've been diving it here on warm tropical OW daylight dive with 80 ft vis ;-)!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom