Dive report Seward Alaska (since we can't have an Alaskan forum)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband just called me and said that as of July 19 the fish count for the Kenai (salmon) was only 80,000. A year ago at the same time it was over 400,000!!!

They did get out last night and caught some nice halibut, so all is not lost with our fish boxes. :wink:

The Kasilof got pluged with reds a few days ago, they just upped the limit. Diving with salmon? Hummmmm....

catherine96821:
hey, looking at a Pursuit today..pm me if you know anything I should know.

Please send me some fish...door delivery on dry ice would be nice.

hmmm..really?

On dry ice, huh? So you like dried fish? :D We call it stock fish, and we use it for dog food, or sometimes for something called lutefisk...

As a former truck driver running loads of 25 tons fresh salmon from Northern Norway all the way to Paris, France (That's 4 days straigh drivin' with two drivers...) I can assure you that wet ice is how you want it for best quality! :blinking:

Ask me anything about quality of fish! :D :D :D

I wasn't going to go into the whole dry ice thing but it's a common misconception. Flake sea ice for trucking, gel packs for everyother kind of fish shipping. I used to Comm fish.

Wildcard:
So I decided to brave the waters of Alaska again. Last spring I dove with Snowbear in a wet suit. BAD idea, 39 degree water is not doable in a wet suit! I broke down and ordered a new dry suit and while waiting for it to get here, I had time to dive so I paid the LDS for the rental and drysuit class so I can teach it later. Didn't take my camera as I figured Id have my hands full with learning the dry suit, and I was right. It was like I never dove before!:11: Second dive went a little better and I was able to look around and all I have to say is WOW! The nudis had just spawned or what ever it is they do to reproduce so there were little nudis everywhere. Saw a 50ish lb tako anemonies (feel free to tell me how to spell that) coral, it was flat out awsome! Oh ya, and a lot nicer in a dry suit:wink: Oh ya, and Snow Bear showed up for the dive too:D If you ever get a chance to dive with her, do it, you will be humbled by her bouyance control. She truly is a marine mamal.
Now as soon as my suit gets here I can do it again!!!!:D

***s i g h ****

It sounds wonderful! I do miss cold water stuff. I'm visiting Seattle over labor day and my drysuit is at my buddy's but hasn't seen the light of day for over 3 years. I told him that if my seals are intact, I'll brave the cold. If not, fate is telling me not to go into the cold . . . . .

onfloat:
So, are you going to bring the drysuit back to Hawaii, just to keep the skills fresh.:wink:

Remember the temperature yesterday???? (temp of water was 80 degrees) If I were in a drysuit (like YOU were), it would no longer be dry. It would be filled with sweat! I would be sliding all over that thing.

I was over-heating in my dive SKIN!

(Does this answer your question???)

Wasn't viz terrible?

Ya, Im bringing it just to practice and teach K how to use hers too, if it ever gets here!

Yipppiiiieeeee, we are going to be getting an Alaskan forum!!!

sea nmf:
Remember the temperature yesterday???? (temp of water was 80 degrees) If I were in a drysuit (like YOU were), it would no longer be dry. It would be filled with sweat! I would be sliding all over that thing.

I was over-heating in my dive SKIN!

(Does this answer your question???)

Wasn't viz terrible?

Yes, it was a little warm and my drysuit was wet inside. I found the hole that I made in it, when we did the Sea Tiger dive. I was completely flooded.

The viz was horrible--reminded me of diving in San Diego only the water wasn't green.

Back
Top Bottom