Dive report Puerto Vallarta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crap! don't tell me 60 degrees in Feb. That is NOT what I want to hear... I am all about warm warm water! what suit did you wear? I only have a 3 ml. :( thinking I'm gonna freeze my booty off... (which of course would be fine if it actually disappeared, but once I'm out of the water it seems to re-materialize!) lol

Also, hi there to Jerry... think we met you one year at one of the Mayan Palaces... Riviera maybe??? nice to 'see' you again!

Vallarta Adventures offered the best deal if you don't mind the crowd and the extras. They offer plenty of food & unlimited party-boat style drinks (after you dive of course). I agree with Chocoholic--the entertainment was funny. My favorite dive sites were the El Morro area (El Morro and Los Anegados) and Las Marietas (specifically La Montana and the tunnels). I also dove at Colimillos; Las Caletas; Los Arcos. See my other posting at

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2531512&postcount=18

AmyJ:
Crap! don't tell me 60 degrees in Feb. That is NOT what I want to hear... I am all about warm warm water! what suit did you wear? I only have a 3 ml. :( thinking I'm gonna freeze my booty off... (which of course would be fine if it actually disappeared, but once I'm out of the water it seems to re-materialize!) lol

Also, hi there to Jerry... think we met you one year at one of the Mayan Palaces... Riviera maybe??? nice to 'see' you again!
Hi Amy!

Good to talk with you again. I was there in July, but I did hear that the water temps were quite a bit cooler in the winter months. I had one dive near Los Arcos that had a 10+ degree swing between surface and depth, so I wore my 3-5-3 mil suit from then on. Funny thing was it never got that cold after that, but since there were lots of jelly fish in the water I didn't mind wearing the full suit.

Jerry

Hey sorry to hoork the thred but what the deal with Klaus and Lutz at Oceanquest are they out? heard Klaus whent back to Germany and Lutz has health problems...anyone know what the deal is?

I have tried all of the shops listed. They were all okay (see my previous post on Vallarta). IMO the best is Boca Divers. They are worth the trip south and are definately not a cattle boat operation. I have been going to Vallarta for many years and will now only give my business to Carla and Steve.

mradnor:
I am going to P.V. in two weeks, has anybody gone diving with "Chico's"?
It was referred by by my dive shop.
Thanks,
P.S any ideas about water temp at the end of December?
Marty

I got my first of three resort certs with Chico's back in 2000. (I know, three resort courses is pathetic, but there you go). Its been awhile, but unless their op has changed I don't plan on diving with them again.

At the time as a first time diver I was too busy having a blast to know their quality. After some more experience, they were a cattle boat. There were about 15 of us on the boat (divers and snorklers) and we went to Marahuitas. Vis was bad (maybe 30'). Chico's can't control that. My concern is that on my first dive, we hit the water, the DM okey'ed me and promptly went to 60+'. My 2 brothers-in-law and I were in a threesome that lost sight of the DM that was supposed to be with me on my resort dive because he was out of visibility range. At the time, I didn't care; looking back, I would have been screwed if something had gone wrong.

I've heard great things about Pacific Scuba and look forward to diving with them in February.

FYI, I remember being in a 3mm shortie and being chilly, but okay in February. See my pic since its from that first dive.

I was referred to Aqua guy in Puerto Vallarta by a friend. Does any one have any thoughts or has any one dove with Mike. I am looking for a personal touch for my 4 divers(two couples) and will not make any points with the cattle boat cenario. Any honest info would be appreciated.

Mike is a great guy but I'm not sure his boat is operating anymore. I'm going on Monday, I was diving in Asia last year, and will be diving with Twin Dolphins. Great dive op, small boats and personal service. Pacific Scuba had a new boat on line when I was there last but I'm not sure if it is in the water yet. They have a berth right next to Twin Dolphins. These two work together if they have too many divers.

Thanks for the reply regarding Mike. Please let me know if you find out if he is still there or how my buddy can get hold of him. I would sure appreciate it. Till later!!

Back
Top Bottom