Dive Report: Portulano, Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finbob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Enjoyed 20 dives at Portulano under the auspices of Andy Davis - a dive consultant with Scuba Tech Philippines & a key contributor to ScubaBoard. I chose Andy to complete my Padi Rescue course, as well as to enhance dive skills. Andy was very patient with me and yeah I scrapped through the rescue program (still have much to learn).:D

The Resort
From Manila, Portulano takes around 3-hours & costs $170 by taxi(return) - very expensive considering the economy. Portulano is a small family run operation. As a small friendly, family business it is fine. No frills, a/c for a little extra but rather basic with internet on a hit & miss affair. The strength of Portulano is good food with very friendly/helpful staff. However, as a dive operation it is rather poor - difficult access to the water and damaged rental equipment - not recommended.

The Dives
Shore diving: This consisted of 80% of all dives. Anilao is a rather nice and easy diving area. It's strength is nudibranch who are there is abundance; it's weakness is pelagics. Saw: Blue Ring Octopus, Cuttle fish, Decorated Crab, Razor Fish, Moreys, Trigger fish, Lion fish, Squid, Catfish, Pipe fish etc.

Boat dives: Again rather expensive, but we waited and teamed up with another coupleand shared the costs: Ligpo Island - Wall dive 5M-25M. Looking for small sharks in cave - none. Beautiful coral, but nothing really exciting (overrated). Dive & Trek (fish sanctuary): Demon Stinger, Starry Pufferfish, Sergent Majors, Giant Clams, Lizard fish etc. Real fun dive! Mainit Point: Black Ribbon Eel, various Nudibranch, Mantis Shrimp. Beware - Moderate to Strong current! Secret Bay: 'Muck Diving" fabulous for Nudibranch!

Night Dives
- These are my favourites - Great! Reef Octopus, Turtle, Cuttlefish etc.

In summary
: Recommend Andy Davis as a dive consultant; recommend Anilao as a dive site, but currently cannot recommend Portulano as a dive resort - despite the friendly staff - unlesssome capital investment takes place. :depressed:

Back
Top Bottom