Dive Report Madrona Point Feb 4 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing, I've never encountered seals underwater.

very neat dive. Thanks for sharing. Not sure I could do without continually looking over my shoulder for a shark.

DSCI4256 (2).JPG
Thanks for sharing, I've never encountered seals underwater.

These are sea lions - not seals. They can weigh several hundred pounds. Most of the time they are just curious, but they can be annoying. Dove the same general area a couple of days later and were swarmed. They were nipping at our fins, hoses, hoods, and I even had one mouth my hand. Fortunately he didn't bite down our else I would have been in a world of hurt.

Only ever had one encounter where one was aggressive. It would come by and turn off at the last second blowing a stream of bubbles in our faces. It was believed to be a male protecting his harem !!

The picture is one that basically got nose to nose with me - I was able to click the shutter at just the right time to get this close up !!

Divegoose

View attachment 641554

These are sea lions - not seals. They can weigh several hundred pounds. Most of the time they are just curious, but they can be annoying. Dove the same general area a couple of days later and were swarmed. They were nipping at our fins, hoses, hoods, and I even had one mouth my hand. Fortunately he didn't bite down our else I would have been in a world of hurt.

Only ever had one encounter where one was aggressive. It would come by and turn off at the last second blowing a stream of bubbles in our faces. It was believed to be a male protecting his harem !!

The picture is one that basically got nose to nose with me - I was able to click the shutter at just the right time to get this close up !!

Divegoose
I find they get really nasty once the herring run starts. I usually stay out of the water then but you usually can't see anything anyway.

I find they get really nasty once the herring run starts. I usually stay out of the water then but you usually can't see anything anyway.

I stay out of the water as well once the herring run starts. Visibility greatly reduced if any at all, and then try to get the smell out of your drysuit !! :facepalm:

Divegoose

One of our group had his dry suit punctured on a dive by a sea lion north of Browning Pass. Just nipping behavior not a real bite, but they are BIG animals. Second time on the trip the same diver got bit. Previous was a wolf eel, he inadvertently put his hand in the den (didn't know there was an eel there). Thereafter was known as "Chum". :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom