Dive Report kowaliga - 6/12/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Over the years I learned from Uncle Ricky. Of course, that is what your elders are for to teach you stuff. Ricky carries a set of dive gear in his car at all times lest he pass a pothole. I started doing that and Sunday morning it came in really handy.

I started up to the farm early in the morning and decided to take the scenic route to check out conditions at the lake. As I approached Kowaliga I spotted cobalt blue water luring me with temptation that I could not refuse.

A few short months ago the water temperature was about 50 degrees and I was hesitant because the only exposure suit in my kit was my three-two. To my wonder and amazement the water temperature on the surface was 82 degrees.

I entered the usual place and made my way around the tip of the old roadway and then compass across the lake until I picked up the pilings and easily found the line. As long as the sun was out I could see about fifteen feet but only about eight feet when the sun went behind clouds. The line is covered by silt in some places and with a heavy layer of algae. I used my fingers to clean off as much as I could as I headed out to the concrete along the line and to the right side of the roadbed on the bottom to search for stuff. Water temperature at 30 feet was 74 degrees. The first sharp thermocline down to 70 degrees happened at 34 feet and the visibility went to zero.

I kept going in the zero vis using a sweeping pattern to look for stuff. I find it fun to feel shapes and try to guess what I have located. I found four nice bottles and headed back by compass on the west side of the structure until I ran across the Christmas trees and old stereo equipment. There is always a nice catfish or two sleeping in the trees along with thousands of bass fingerlings. I spent several minutes enjoying the marine life and picked up the line to the old boats.

The ghost fleet is still there and still magnificent as their ghostly skeletons gradually come into view. I compassed to the exit point and felt cold for the first time when I left the water into overcast skies and a brisk wind.

I dried off and the sun came out for a few minutes. I felt the warm rays on my skin as I gazed across the alluring water. The gentle wind rustled and it was almost as if the lake were talking to me. “You’ll discover some of my treasures but below my waters there are mysteries kept safe forever.” I hope I never solve all your mysteries wonderful lake. Without mysteries what fun would life be?

Makes me want to head North to dive :)

Thanks for the nice compliment Octotat.

Any time Matt - of course we'd like to head down your way too if the storms will leave us alone. Was really the pits when the seas were 9 - 12 all weekend and less than one on Monday.

Tom Smedley:
Was really the pits when the seas were 9 - 12 all weekend and less than one on Monday.

No kidding!

Couldn't dive over the weekend, I was hoping to take my little inflatable out. Then yesterday there are hardly any waves and I'm stuck at work. I'm sure the beach dives are pretty much clouded over for a few days anyway :)

I'm thinking a Whiskey Wreck dive may be in order Wed/Thurs though :) Maybe Arlene uncovered it a bit after Ivan covered it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom